Forum Index > Trail Talk > Waterfall Identification
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 12:24 pm 
Can anyone identify this waterfall? I know it's in Mt Rainier National park, but that's it. Sore Feet?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 1:19 pm 
It's not in Mt. Rainier. Iron Creek Falls, just south of the road to Windy Ridge, off of FR 25 near Mt. St. Helens. http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/falls/iron_creek.htm (I got this shot in June). That's one of the better pictures I've seen of it. Gonna have to get back down that way soon.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 1:23 pm 
Thanks for the ID. It's funny, the photo is from an article on MRNP. Strange it's not actually in the park. tongue.gif It looks like a completey different fall in high flow. I tend to prefer my waterfalls at lower flows for most of them. They're more about grace than power for me. I looked around on your website at MRNP area falls and found this one I really want to visit. Very nice.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Mar 12, 2003 6:57 pm 
Lower Devil Creek is a really nice one. The setting is pretty hard to beat. There's also Devil Creek Falls, about 4/10 mi. upstream. A while ago, I very quickly scouted the route to a point where a bit of brush bashing would be necessary, but it definitely looks do-able (probably pretty easy too). I would have made a stab at the upper falls last June, but it was freakin' SNOWING when I was there...IN JUNE! The only problem is Lower Devil Creek Falls could be difficult to get to when the creek is high, and the upper falls wouldn't be very interesting when it's low. I guess that's what sandals are for... smile.gif BTW - Anyone who wants to spend some time at Boulder Cave, in addition to the falls, should hike up/down Devil Creek Canyon (no trail) when the water is low (downstream of Boulder Cave). It's really cool.