Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Paleontologist under fire at Burke Museum
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
greg

greg
PostSat Jan 28, 2006 8:31 am 
Guy didn't document his digs well and apparently never got permits. This does make me want to go visit Burke though, haven't been in years. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002767416_burke28m.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostSat Jan 28, 2006 10:51 am 
Interesting article, Greg. The Burke is on my bike commute and I stop in every once in a while, but it's been about a year since I've gone in. I've always enjoyed the museum and considered it a feather in Seattle's cap. We've even "borrowed" Native American artifacts for use in some of our events at work, and they've been great to deal with. I'll bet it's a beehive of activity right now, with the controversial Kennewick Man issue, and now this. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Jan 28, 2006 12:11 pm 
Yea, I'll be curious to see if he get's in any trouble for not getting permit's: A big NoNo.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
greg

greg
PostSat Jan 28, 2006 2:03 pm 
I took an anthropology class when I was going to the UW and we went in the back rooms of the Burke to look at artifacts the prof had dug up at various sites around Western Washington. Row after row and shelf after shelf of boxes of artifacts, almost none of which was ever displayed. One kid in my class was a Duwamish tribal member -- I think the Duwamish are still not recognized -- and I use to give him a ride home sometimes. He was not happy about all this stuff just sitting on the shelves, and I couldn't blame him.

WTM

WTM
PostSat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 am 
Quote:
Row after row and shelf after shelf of boxes of artifacts, almost none of which was ever displayed.
This is not at all unusual. No major museum ever exhibits more than a tiny fraction of the material it has in storage. The costs of exhibiting more would be prohibitive. Exhibition is not really the main mission of museums like the Burke anyway. Research is the reason for their existence. That's why this 'scandal' is such a big deal.

greg

greg
PostSat Feb 25, 2006 8:51 pm 
WTM wrote:
Quote:
Row after row and shelf after shelf of boxes of artifacts, almost none of which was ever displayed.
This is not at all unusual. No major museum ever exhibits more than a tiny fraction of the material it has in storage. The costs of exhibiting more would be prohibitive. Exhibition is not really the main mission of museums like the Burke anyway. Research is the reason for their existence. That's why this 'scandal' is such a big deal.
Yes I know and its a shame. If it has no academic purpose, give it back!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 03, 2006 9:28 am 
Kids dinosaur day at the Burke http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/261484_fam03.html

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.