Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Who was this guy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
greg

greg
PostSun Mar 05, 2006 11:08 am 
Cool drawing Ree, I didn't realize Anasazi pottery was that stylized up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 8:54 am 
Thanks, G. Anasazi pottery is amazing. Like any art/antiquity the value placed on it is relative to the quality of craftsmanship in it. For example,you can tell if an amateur painted pottery by the quality of lines... if they are irregular and sloppy vs. consistent, thin, and perfectly drawn. Pots with creatures, beings, or animals (called effigys) painted on them are valued higher. Mimbres is a type of Anasazi pottery that came from southwest New Mexico which is highly prized for its high craftsmanship and graphical style. Note 9364.
anasazi_pottery
anasazi_pottery

greg

greg
PostMon Mar 06, 2006 11:49 am 
Ree, those are amazing. It would be interesting to research exactly how they made those pots (not with a wheel for sure) and textured them, how they built the kilns, how they fired them, what they used for glazing, etc.

salish

salish
PostTue Mar 07, 2006 12:16 pm 
ree wrote:
So Cliff, where do you stand (coming from a native perspective) about Kennewick man? Should he be studied, or put in the ground by native americans without study? How do you feel about non-natives owning/collecting ancient native antiquities? !
Ree, this is getting perilously close to my cardinal rule of never discussing politics or religion on-line, so I'll PM you. But I will say that I, personally, have mixed feelings on this issue. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.