Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hyak Lake Snowshoe 3-11-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 5:01 pm 
Based on great info provided by JimK's Nordic Pass report, I targeted this same trail for my March adventure. With the posting activity about this trail, I was sure someone would have set new tracks in the new snow before we arrived. Unfortunately for us, that was not the case. Looking back, I'll remember this as the 'Break Trail, not Wind' trip. winksmile.gif I'll spare the details until I can attend a NWH Social. Kudos and Congratulations to those of you who took the time and effort to place the blue route diamonds along the way - without them we would have turned back early on. Trail breaking=Ok, Route Finding=No Thanks. We had a very pleasant trek through untouched snow. Absolutely beautiful. Eventually we crossed over a ski run/cat-track route and merged onto a pretty heavily travelled route. Once reaching this part of the trail our speed increased significantly (as did the slope) while we followed the creek upwards to Hyak Lake. It seems everyone else on this part of the trail started from the Silver Fir chairlift area... had we done the same we probably would have made it much further along our intended route. This was a fun route and we all agreed that even with the slow speed and the increased exertion required by breaking trail through the new snow it was that part of the trip which we all enjoyed the most. The weather was mostly sunny, although we did have some brief snowfall while enjoying lunch at Hyak Lake. Nice people on the trail and the initial creek crossing was a bit hair-raising, but it just made the trip all that much more memorable. >>Edit: adding some pics from flickr to replace the other ones.
Creek Crossing
Creek Crossing
Snowshoers
Snowshoers
Lovebirds in the Cascades
Lovebirds in the Cascades
Snoqualmie Snow
Snoqualmie Snow
Nordic Pass trail
Nordic Pass trail
Nordic Pass Trail
Nordic Pass Trail
End Edit<< After the snowshoe event was complete, we scooted over to Easton for some caffeine from a favorite no-name espresso shack, then all the way to Ballard to visit the Locks (that's been on my To-Do list for 20+ years!) and finally some tasty Thai at Ayutthaya on E. Pike. I had been contemplating a return to Gold Creek that evening for some night-time photography... but with the clouds that rolled in and a tummy full of Thai... I went home instead. shakehead.gif Next Episode: April 15th or 16th. Contemplating a Mtn Loop Highway Adventure... and I don't mind company. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 7:25 pm 
HEY, you don't look like Elvis! Neither dose she. WE'VE BEEN MISLEAD! moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 7:34 pm 
But he DOES look like Jeff Bridges! cool.gif
jeff_bridges
jeff_bridges
Elvis
Elvis

mgd

mgd
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 8:28 pm 
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 8:38 pm 
ditto.gif Pacific Northwest winter 2005/06 up.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostTue Mar 14, 2006 1:51 am 
You'll be saddened to know that I was the photographer... not the subject. I did think twice about posting that picture and then decided to take a walk on the wildside by posting it. Yeah - that's my life - livin' on the edge. lol.gif My real appearance will be kept top secret until I can make it to a social. bagger.gif cool.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
ree

ree
PostTue Mar 14, 2006 6:04 am 
Jeff Bridges: slobber.gif slobber.gif slobber.gif wub.gif