Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > New Alpine Lakes permit restrictions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 11:11 am 
The article isn't clear who that suggestion came from - the Times writer or Therrell. Those who choose to camp at Ingalls aren't there for the same reason as those who choose to camp at the other places. There are few spots at Augusta; those that are there are horribly beaten up by horses. Dispersed camping would be on fragile meadows. It's a lot farther in than Ingalls, so if you want something like Ingalls, Augusta isn't a comprable comparison. Those seeking solace at Ingalls area are interested in the Ingalls area, not Chain/Doelle, and likely have different skills (Ingalls is close in, easy, good for families and beginners, Chain/Doelle & Blackjack Ridge are farther out, more difficult for families). Chain/Doelle has had re-veg problems in the past, so directing them to that area sorta defeats the purpose of the past effort. [edit: Unlike Ingalls, it'd be hard to do Augusta for an overnight unless you're Fred Beavon. It can be done, if all you want to do is hike 11 miles, sleep and come out the next day with no exploration of the area. I'm sorta guessing on the ill-comparison of Ingalls with Chain/Doelle & Blackjack Ridge - I've only been to Chain/Doelle via Whitepine, so don't know how short or easy it is coming in from the other direction. Never been to Blackjack Ridge, but read up on it last fall, and it looked difficult to squeeze in for an overnigher - was I right?]

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 11:15 am 
Quark wrote:
Chain/Doelle has had re-veg problems in the past, so directing them to that area sorta defeats the purpose of the past effort.
Not to worry! Just implement a permit system for Chain & Doelle. naughty.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Damian

Damian
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 12:55 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
The word used up-thread was damage, not destruction. And yes, any fire ring or other evidence of man, no matter how small, is damage. Because we can't eliminate all damage from man we are led to several important questions. How much damage is acceptable and where? How do we limit damage? I agree with your central point that not all places should be treated equally and I do agree that fire rings should be left in some places but I don't try to justify that by fooling myself into thinking that fire pits are ever harmonious with nature.
I think we are closer on this than we are apart. Is a fire pit harmonious with nature? Certainly a loaded question on this forum. Maybe it's not the right question. Stepping back, the fire ring clearly represents man's presence. Below some subjective and arguable threshold, I don't consider evidence of man's presence to be an entirely bad thing Or entirely inharmonious with nature. I cut mankind some slack as being part of nature. Perhaps we are a bigger part than we should be. Maybe that's the issue. Art Out.

mgd

mgd
PostMon Mar 13, 2006 8:31 pm 
Quote:
Below some subjective and arguable threshold, I don't consider evidence of man's presence to be an entirely bad thing Or entirely inharmonious with nature. I cut mankind some slack as being part of nature.
ditto.gif campfire.gif