Forum Index > Trip Reports > Green Ridge Lake Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 9:22 pm 
'Twas a mixed day for me. On one hand, we had really nice weather up until 5pm, on the other hand, I got stood up by a hiking buddy and so I ended up getting a *really* late start to my day. Went up the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River Road. We'd originally planned on Hardscrabble Lakes, but time was running out and so I settled on another route I'd never tried. Stopped at Green Ridge Creek, threw on my pack and gaiters and hit the trail at 1:30pm (1261'). The route is an unmaintained trail...decent quality, not too many blowdowns, but it doesn't look like it gets many visitors over the course of a year. The first 300 feet of altitude were reasonably gentle, with a glimpse of the Green Ridge Creek to your right. After the first quarter mile or so, the party was definitely over and the trail went right to work. The trail goes pretty much straight up the hill. When there were switchbacks, the route was dreadfully steep. The trail levels out on a bench for a minute at roughly 2000', and there's a traverse to the right at 2800' where one can stretch their legs for a moment, but that's it. It's definitely called Green Ridge for a reason -- it's well forested and there aren't many good viewpoints of the valley for pretty much the entire trip. I hit first snow at 3400'. Saw a few trails leading off to the right around 3450', but I couldn't tell if these snow covered, faint tracks were the way to go or if the trail up the ridge was the correct route, so I stuck with the ridge. In retrospect, I believe that I should have taken one of those trails in order to get to Green Ridge, Hi-Low, and Quartz Lakes. From above, it looked as though they may have just skirted under some steeper cliffy terrain and connected up with the top of a talus slope that would have taken me up and into the lake basin. Ahhh, well. Next time. I stopped at 3:30pm (3700'). There were dark clouds coming in quickly and I decided I probably wasn't going to make it to the lakes this time. Headed down and made it to the car around 4:50pm, just in time for the rain to start falling. Next time up, I should have plenty of time to do a little wandering around up there make Rock and Lunker Lakes as well and at least look down into Judy and Nordrum. BTW- Anyone have any good pictures of any of the aforementioned lakes so that I can see what I missed (and what I have to look forward to)? Thanks in advance!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 9:55 am 

salish

salish
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 12:28 pm 
MichaelB: I was up there last August, and to Hi Lo, also. Nice try for this time of year! It definitely was a steep sucker and I had a heavy pack. I don't have any decent pics, tho, sorry. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 1:16 pm 
Been in there and, yep, steep trail. Twice into Green Ridge, Hi-Low, Rock etc. the other two I've taken the trail all the way to the ridge top in order to get to Treen Peak and East Garfield. You're right though, you need to take a right around 3200'-3300' -- that gets you across a talus field then drops you back down to the creek for the last bit of trail before Green Ridge Lake. Got lots of pictures of the area, ya might have to come to the next lap top social to see them though....

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 2:56 pm 
For those interested in the Homecourt Peaks that trail is the jumpoff point for Galleon (Pt 5283) and Floating Rock (Pt 5174) in addition to the two Randy mentioned, East Garfield and Treen.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 3:35 pm 
Thanks for the pics, links and references guys! And thanks for the confirmation Randy! A couple of quick pics...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short