Previous :: Next Topic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 11:16 am 
Quark wrote:
seawallrunner wrote:
I have the Akto, and I bought it with the footprint.
Kat, I've never pitched the tent without the fly; I did purchase the extra pole for that purpose, but with either rain or heavy dew, I have never found pitching it that was to be a possibility for me.
Thanks Quark - how could I forget about the dew factor! doh.gif That inner tent pitched by itself would be pretty soaked by morning I would think, even in August. Glad I asked! Still looks like a nice tent for snow camping, tho...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 11:36 am 
marylou wrote:
I think we've talked about this a bit before, but what is the advantage to using a footprint?
Yeah, someone convince me that a footprint isn't just a rip off. I camp on snow a lot, so I don't worry about wrecking the bottom of the tent. If I have to set up on an abrasive surface I just put my ridgerest under the tent floor.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 11:37 am 
for me it's just a question of preserving the base of the tent, keep it clean and away from being torn by sharp rocks etc. I throw the footprint into the wash after a camping trip, but I have yet to do so with my tent wink.gif Also, the footprint allows me to create a floor for the vestibule area, whereas otherwise my pack, boots and other stuff (mittens to dry, etc) would sit on possibly damp ground over night.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 11:57 am 
Yah, Kat - In a fit of confidence I once pitched my Clip Flashlight without the fly, since the weathe rwas very warm. Next morning my tent was soaked with dew, since a large body of fog decided to sit it's fat ass on my tent. For the next 2 days the tent remained wet 'cause it rained like hell the rest of the trip, and I was stuck with a wet tent body. It wasn't horrible or anything, only a little irritating.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 7:24 pm 
Quark wrote:
Yah, Kat - In a fit of confidence I once pitched my Clip Flashlight without the fly, since the weathe rwas very warm. Next morning my tent was soaked with dew, since a large body of fog decided to sit it's fat ass on my tent. For the next 2 days the tent remained wet 'cause it rained like hell the rest of the trip, and I was stuck with a wet tent body. It wasn't horrible or anything, only a little irritating.
I've been the victim of dew on my packs etc, which is why I won't leave 'em outside anymore. I can completely relate! But, I looked up the Nallo 2 specs today - the interior tent is supposedly constructed of DWR ripstop nylon, which should be completely adequate in repelling condensation in summertime camping - I would think! And, looking at this photo of the Nallo 2.. Nallo2 I am thinking - assuming the interior tent actually weighs only 1.5 lbswith poles as I have been told - It looks very easy to clip something else very lightweight to the hoop poles for summer use over the top of the tent - that would make this 2 person tent as light weight, or lighter - than a 2 person six moons or henry shires tent. With the added benefit of adding the fly for snow camping. Rather than buying 2 tents - lightweight summer, and snow worthy

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 7:30 pm 
Quote:
But, I looked up the Nallo 2 specs today - the interior tent is supposedly constructed of DWR ripstop nylon, which should be completely adequate in repelling condensation in summertime camping - I would think!
The moisture inside the tent is usually condensation from your breathing rather than something from the outside. That's one of the main reasons tents have a lot of mesh on the bodies of them. I'm generalizing a bit, but that's the basic idea. A good way to keep dew off of packs is to keep them wrapped up in a garbage bag outside, or at least get it up off the ground. I usually do both, and prefer not to have my pack in the tent with me if possible.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Mar 24, 2006 7:53 pm 
marylou wrote:
Quote:
But, I looked up the Nallo 2 specs today - the interior tent is supposedly constructed of DWR ripstop nylon, which should be completely adequate in repelling condensation in summertime camping - I would think!
The moisture inside the tent is usually condensation from your breathing rather than something from the outside. That's one of the main reasons tents have a lot of mesh on the bodies of them. I'm generalizing a bit, but that's the basic idea. A good way to keep dew off of packs is to keep them wrapped up in a garbage bag outside, or at least get it up off the ground. I usually do both, and prefer not to have my pack in the tent with me if possible.
Ya, but I want my pack inside with me - we use them as a pillow when sleeping, and it does keep them drier plus everything else that is still inside. I have not yet personally had problems with condensation inside my $25 Knollwood Bivy Tent lol.gif lol.gif because it IS a hybrid single/double wall and I do not deliberately camp in the rain BUT I want 1) A snow-worthy tent and 2) A tent one pound lighter for summer camping = 2lb. My 2 person bivy tent weighs in at 3 lbs. I am extremely interested in the Henry Shires Rainbow 2 person version for a lightweight tent when it finally arrives, but the Nallo may be a better fit given my 4 season aspirations smile.gif

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 2:20 pm 
Nallo owners above - you have one SWEEEET tent! I checked it out at Pro Mountain Sports this morning. Jim very kindly pitched a brand new one outside for us to check out. We both crawled in, it felt like a palace inside. It is much larger in person than it looks like in the photos. He said he had personally used the inner tent without the fly, camped as late as October with it at a lake and did not experience any condensation problems. The redesigned rear vent on the '06 model is pretty nifty. I almost slapped my credit card down on the counter then and there, but felt I should go home and ponder a little more. dizzy.gif Nallo.... Stephenson.... Rainbow... aargh! If I hadn't had my main car puke on me, I'd buy 'em all!

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 2:39 pm 
Kat, did you try the Nallo2 or 3? And, may I ask, how much are they asking for it?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 2:52 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
Kat, did you try the Nallo2 or 3? And, may I ask, how much are they asking for it?
They put out the Nallo 2 GT for me to try, but I'm only interested in the "regular" Nallo 2 with the smaller vestibule. Price is US $455, eek.gif they will include the 4 pole holders for pitching the inner tent by itself. I have almost talked myself into it, but I need to sleep on it winksmile.gif

longhair27

longhair27
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 5:53 pm 
Killer Details All-Around Photos Of Hilleberg Tents Here
I LOVE this online Outdoor Retailer! 'Click' on the various photos and SCROLL down to see other Tent links for super detailed color photos showing just about every feature you can think of - http://www.backcountryequipment.com/tents/hilleberg_nallo3gt.php NOTE: For each Tent's respective overall dimensions particulary interior ceiling height the person modeling that Tent is usually in direct portion to the Tent shown = the NALLO 2 GT, the person (modeling) is 5'11" tall. Hence for those amoung us who are over 6-feet tall (I'm 6'1") the slightly heavier NALLO 3 GT Tent (5.5-Lbs) would be Thee best choice as it's interior ceiling height is 42" compared to the much shorter Nallo 2's 36". I think one thing people forget when shopping for a new Tent is that when you'll be sitting up inside it IN the backcountry (not the showroom floor) is take into the equation what is the thickness of your ground pad (Thermarest or Evazote)? Then add that to the total height of yourself when sitting up straight and compare that to the interior ceiling height of each Tent you're looking at. Clearly the NALLO 2's even the GT models are too short for taller people to sit up straight... comfortably. I contacted Hilleberg in Redmond a couple years ago and they made an important point in their Email that ALL Hillebert Tents are Four Season. Something to consider as it's now Spring and Summer is around the corner. No such thing as an all-season do everything shelter. The Nallo Tent setup outside at Pro Mountain Sports has been in place for well over 40-months straight! Looking at it's outer flysheet material you can see just how much UV damage has been done, but it's still way strong and taut looking and the friggin Vestibule is HUMONGOUS. Upstairs they have an Ekto setup to crawl inside. Check out the complete line of Four Season/Winter Tents here many have full detailed color photos of the inside floor plan, the vestubule area, etc. http://www.backcountryequipment.com/tents/mountaineering.html BTW, an excellent Winter Tent to seriously consider is The FURY (MSR) which is a modified, much lighter version of a classic Moss design but way lighter and just as Blizzard worthy. http://www.backcountryequipment.com/tents/msr_fury.html What I wonder is if having the option to setup the Flysheet first before the inner then why isn't there any American Tent Manufacturer's employing these designs as the Sweden has done? Hilleberg has been selling to the US market for about 5-years now, you'd think IF this respective design were so advantagous it'd be copied in some form or another by now. Before MSR bought the Walrus line of Tents, the latter made a Tent offering an outer flysheet setup first, but it never caught on. I'd like to see Hilleberg introduce some Free-Standing models for a welcom change, ones that are light weight and have a real vestibule unlike the solo Unna. The GT models look stake-intensive and for anything but Winter snowpack camping their overall length (with rainfly attached) is way too long which limits where you can setup one up effectly. Something xtra to consider if one is Backpacking off-trail and not on snowpack. Here's a list of changes to all Hillebert Tents for 2006 - note the addition of both inner and outer Vents. http://moontrail.com/hilleberg/hilleberg-details-2006.php

JimK

JimK
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 6:10 pm 
The Moontrail site is very good but has one mistake. The Nallo 2 inner tent is 40" tall at the front not the 36" they list. The Hilleberg catalog has it correct. I'm 6'4" and can easily sit up in my Nallo 3 (42") and my friend's Nallo 2. The Akto is 36" high and I can't sit up in it.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 6:15 pm 
>The Akto is 36" high and I can't sit up in it. I love my Akto, but this is one thing that I really don't like about it. I am 5'7" and when I sit up in my tent, my head touches the ceiling even at the highest point. I think I'll go for a drive to Bham to look at the Nallo3. I can't believe that I'm typing this, just as I finished setting up my new REI Half-Dome 2HC in my living room. REI dividends and that 30% sale you know... The Half-Dome will make a very nice summer tent, but I am still looking for a nice 4-season tent that I can share and sit up in.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 6:23 pm 
longhair27 wrote:
The Nallo Tent setup outside at Pro Mountain Sports has been in place for well over 40-months straight! Looking at it's outer flysheet material you can see just how much UV damage has been done...
It'd take years to equate that in the back country. ,
longhair27 wrote:
Hilleberg has been selling to the US market for about 5-years now, you'd think IF this respective design were so advantagous it'd be copied in some form or another by now. I'd like to see Hilleberg introduce some Free-Standing models for a welcom echange, ones that are light weight and have a real vestibule unlike the solo Unna.
The design has saved me from a wet night more than once - the body stays relatively - if not totally - dry as the rain pounds down while you're pitching the tent. The design has been replicated in other countries. But for the US - you're talking about Americans here. Not easy to brainwash 'em for good things. You know - a whole country that after a wild and intense attempt to convert to the metric system retained only the word, "liter" for a bottle of pop; and at that, they don't know how much a "liter" is, they only know how to pronouce the word. I was excited to see the free-standing Unna at first - until I realized you have to unhook a corner of the tent body from the pole in order to obtain a vestibule. I don't know if I'd like that, and like you, would rather see a real vestibule. Is that the American whiner in me?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Mar 25, 2006 6:52 pm 
seawallrunner wrote:
>The Akto is 36" high and I can't sit up in it. I love my Akto, but this is one thing that I really don't like about it. I am 5'7" and when I sit up in my tent, my head touches the ceiling even at the highest point. I think I'll go for a drive to Bham to look at the Nallo3. I can't believe that I'm typing this, just as I finished setting up my new REI Half-Dome 2HC in my living room. REI dividends and that 30% sale you know... The Half-Dome will make a very nice summer tent, but I am still looking for a nice 4-season tent that I can share and sit up in.
I'm 5'2", he is 5'8" - and neither one of us had our head hit the top of the new Nallo 2, at the front of the tent, which is the only place we have a concern. That is one of the specific things we checked. (I have been very interested in the RAB eVent tent (made in UK) but it only has a 28" headroom.)