Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hayward Road Flower Report
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 10:32 am 
Preview Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:28 am Post subject: Hayward Road Flowers Saw about 20 mule deer in a herd. Beautiful, against the skyline with a cold, white Mt. Stuart as a backdrop. I fumbled for my camera, but missed them because I had the big medium format camera that takes about 10 minutes to even set it up! The flowers are ready to rock and roll! A good week of sunshine will do it. Blue-eyed Grass: 10% were budding, nice intense blue buds. Grass Widow 1% blooming, 100% were leafed out, ready to bloom! Give it two weeks and it will be a sea of purple. Shooting Stars 1% - 5% blooming, 100% were leafed out, ready to bloom. Wonderful robust leaf structures. Lomatium 50% blooming Gold Stars 20% blooming Desert Buttercups 90% blooming Best spot: 1.8 miles up Hayward Road, there is a small creek (culvert). Climb through the fence on the left-hand (west) side of the road and wander up the little intermittent creek to a holding pond. Bear left (southwest) from here to a more major drainage, and drop down about 200 yards to the deer trails that follow the bank of the drainage. Go up the drainage toward a large lone pine tree. Turn right at the pine tree and aim for the holding pond again. Or, just wander wherever you want, you will find flowers. The little creek is, of course, a range area that is probably filled with cattle in the summer. That still doesn't take away the inherent beauty there, though. It is very reminiscent this time of the year of an alpine stream! The beautiful greens of the emerging plants are really nice, and the reflections in the stream make some wonderful images. I'm hoping that one of my closeup images of Grass Widows, Shooting Stars, and the stream flowing around a volcanic stone, with Mount Stuart in the background, turns out to be a nice image. If so, I'll post it. Chances are good...had the tripod, had the Fuji Velvia 120 film in the Yashica Mat, had the f/32 aperture, took 5 images...normal metered, plus 1.5 and 2.5 stops over and under....talk about bracketing! Oh...one more thing...take something for a windbreak for the flowers...this is a windy place. To reach Hayward Road, take I-90 east to Elk Heights (Exit 93). Immediately cross over the freeway and turn right on Thorp Prairie Road. Stay on this road (do not cross back over at signs to Taneum) until you reach a "T" intersection. Go left on Thorp Highway, crossing the Yakima River to Highway 10. Hayward Road begins directly across Highway 10 at this intersection and heads north. After driving the road you can retrace your steps or continue over the hill, bearing left at Bettas Road and then connecting to Route 97.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 4:07 pm 
Larry, Just curious..I've been in that area a few times and know the WA Native Plant Society has some plant records of the region as well. However, is this indeed public lands? If so, what ownership? I've not seen signed areas stating such. BLM has no lands there...so just curious if this is within the national forest boundary? Thanks! Alan

Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 5:29 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
Larry, Just curious..I've been in that area a few times and know the WA Native Plant Society has some plant records of the region as well. However, is this indeed public lands? If so, what ownership? I've not seen signed areas stating such. BLM has no lands there...so just curious if this is within the national forest boundary? Thanks! Alan
Alan: I've talked to a ranch owner on Bettas Road before, and he said it was privately owned land "as far as he knew"...said that no one worries about the "flower sniffers" who like to frequent the area, so I guess we're safe from a blast of rock salt from a shotgun. cool.gif Nothing shows on the attached map as BLM, Forest Service, etc.... The + on the map is the little pond with the "flowery" creek.
Hayward Road
Hayward Road

Larry

Larry
PostWed Mar 19, 2003 6:00 pm 
Alan: Looking over at Taneum and upper Yahne Canyon...looks like about 2 feet of snow on top...should be an early season, unless we get a huge dump. I would imagine you can get a few miles up Taneum Creek road even now. Nice country.