Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hilleberg Nallo Users
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gary

gary
PostMon Mar 27, 2006 7:04 pm 
You can use just the fly and a footprint, although I haven't done it out on the trail. I would think by the time you added some netting, you wouldn't be saving much over just taking the whole sha-bang. When I used to purposely snow camp all I ever used was a fly and some sort of ground cloth. If you sunk the footprint down a few inches it made for some toasty camping. By the way, I love my Nallo 2. Best tent I ever owned. There is a retailer in Olympia that stocks quite a few Hilleberg products if you wanted to scope some out. At least they did a few months ago. The name of the place is Alpine Experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
longhair27

longhair27
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 2:05 pm 
JimK, Hey, thanks - I stand corrected. Next time I'll check Thee source first. I still believe they are good Tents but they have their 'limitations' too their GT hooped models are way too long to be able to just set them up anywhere so are best suited for Winter camping on snowpack. And why do no American Tent Manufacturers offer models to erect the Rainfly first like Hilleberg? That's the BIG question here.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 pm 
longhair27 wrote:
And why do no American Tent Manufacturers offer models to erect the Rainfly first like Hilleberg? That's the BIG question here.
My old Marmot Up High four season tent went up just like a Hilly. Don't know about their new models.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 2:30 pm 
Quote:
And why do no American Tent Manufacturers offer models to erect the Rainfly first like Hilleberg? That's the BIG question here.
I have a close friend in the tent business. We've discussed tent designs at some length. He really also prefers the "fly first" type of setup, but Americans have just never caught on to that. It's kind of like the fact that so many people want freestanding tents. It doesn't make any sense in either case, but the market is driven by demand. Plus, if you want one of these sorts of tents, there are European options out there--specifcally, the Hilleberg and Exped tents are easy to come by, and are readily available locally.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 4:04 pm 
marylou wrote:
It's kind of like the fact that so many people want freestanding tents. It doesn't make any sense in either case, but the market is driven by demand.
Freestanding makes all kinds of sense if you're the type who like to be able to move it to a different location, or be able to shake it out before packing it away, or use it for snowcamping.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 4:07 pm 
Yeah, see I don't have too much trouble doing any of those things with a non-freestanding tent. That said, when I was looking for a new tent last year, I ended up getting a freestanding tent because there's not much that's very nice in the non-freestanding category at the moment.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 30, 2006 4:13 pm 
I've often wished I had a free standing tent. My 2 man tents are but I never use them. Sometimes, when the ground is full of rocks and roots and nowhere you try to pound the stake is free of a rock or a root, or when it's cold as hell out, and raining and dark and all you want to do is get the tent up but you can't because of all the above. Or if you're on slab like the enchantments and it's dark & rainy and rigging up a rock system to use as stakes is a hassle. Or if you want to camp on top of that really cool rock knob at Twisp Pass area - then I wish I had a free standing tent.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Chucky

Chucky
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 9:17 am 
foot print
I only use one if i am going to be out and i know it will rain. it keeps the rain off me when I'm cookin dinner

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 10:49 am 
Quark wrote:
I've often wished I had a free standing tent. My 2 man tents are but I never use them.
I thought you had one of these:
Not freestanding. confused.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 am 
The Clip Flashlight is not free standing.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 11:09 am 
Quark wrote:
The Clip Flashlight is not free standing.
I know. Hence my confusion about your freestanding 2 man tents. confused.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 11:18 am 
Regardless of what it's advertised as, I have always included the Clip Flashlight in my one man tent collection. Those I consider in my 2 man tent collection are free standing.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 11:25 am 
Ohh. doh.gif Ya know, it sleeps 2 pretty comfortably though. smile.gif

JimK

JimK
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 11:41 am 
Speaking of Nallos, my Nallo 3 weighs 1 1/4 lbs. more than my Flashlight 2. It has at least double the usable space. That's why my Flashlight doen't go out anymore.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 11:59 am 
I stopped taking my Flashlight when I discovered the reason my feet were in a pool of water several times that last summer I used it was because the fly doesn't completely cover the tent body at the foot end, so that everytime my feet brushed against the wall, the tent would leak. the feet of 2 people wailing around the narrow end of the tent would be disasterous (well, disasterous is a strong word, unless a down bag were involved).