Forum Index > Gear Talk > Score!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Phil

Phil
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 12:57 pm 
Wandering thru REI's bargain basement I found a hennessy hammock, ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM for $48 because it was missing the tree-hugger straps (1" by 42+" nylon straps, looped both ends) ! Normally priced about $169. I can have the straps made in REI's climbing section or order them on-line form Hennessy for $15. Today is a good day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 3:40 pm 
Congratulations. There's a great new invention called rope too.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 3:55 pm 
Pei Mei wrote:
Congratulations. There's a great new invention called rope too.
The straps are to protect the trees from the rope. Also, without the straps the tie loop will pinch into the tree making it more difficult to untie the hammock.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 4:12 pm 
In order to go easier on the trees and make it easier to untie I try to use a couple of loops of rope (which halves the load on the rope and the bark) and instead of cinching it up to the tree I run the same loops through the hammock so the loops usually end up long and don't put any additional pressure on the trees. I also make my first knot a slipknot and then just tie the ends of the slipknot together loosely so it's a snap to untie it.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 7:10 pm 
Phil wrote:
Wandering thru REI's bargain basement I found a hennessy hammock, ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM for $48 because it was missing the tree-hugger straps (1" by 42+" nylon straps, looped both ends) ! Normally priced about $169. I can have the straps made in REI's climbing section or order them on-line form Hennessy for $15. Today is a good day.
Geez, great score! Hey, in the unlikely event you're too heavy for the ultralite, I've got an Expedition sitting here for a trade lol.gif

Phil

Phil
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 pm 
Pei Mei wrote:
In order to go easier on the trees and make it easier to untie I try to use a couple of loops of rope (which halves the load on the rope and the bark) and instead of cinching it up to the tree I run the same loops through the hammock so the loops usually end up long and don't put any additional pressure on the trees. I also make my first knot a slipknot and then just tie the ends of the slipknot together loosely so it's a snap to untie it.
Right on. I'm gonna try that.

Phil

Phil
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 8:17 pm 
Kat wrote:
Phil wrote:
Geez, great score! Hey, in the unlikely event you're too heavy for the ultralite, I've got an Expedition sitting here for a trade lol.gif
Ha! If I gain over 100 pounds I'll let you know. I'm a featherweight.

Starjumper7
Human

Starjumper7
Human
PostWed Apr 05, 2006 9:28 pm 
Phil wrote:
Pei Mei wrote:
I also make my first knot a slipknot and then just tie the ends of the slipknot together loosely so it's a snap to untie it.
Right on. I'm gonna try that.
I forgot to mention that I have a small loop tied on one end of the rope an dthen just string the other end through. I can't think of how to make a slipknot with to bare ends.