Forum Index > Gear Talk > Ever chosen your gear for a trip....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Apr 06, 2006 7:52 pm 
....not because it was your lightest, most appropriate, most luxurious, or the only choice, but because it was just so fun to play with it? Every once in a while I get the hankering to pull out my SVEA 123 so I can listen to it put...put..put as it cooks my meal or take my siltarp so I can experiment with new ways to set it up. What about clothing?...Ever substitute something which wasn't quite as functional just because you look more pimp?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Apr 06, 2006 8:25 pm 
On dayhikes I try to wear fab stuff in order to look fab. It doesn't always work out though, 'cause as my exroomate says, I'm borderline dork, so I have to really choose the right thing. I miss my Moonstone Profusion jacket; the one I bought back in 1999 or so. It was the coolest jacket ever. I looked fine in it, too. It wasn't very useful in the rain because it wasn't waterproof or even water resisitant; it was sorta like a windbreaker with a thin fleece interior. I didn't care though, I took it on trips anyway. It was black with blue accents. Somewhere between Kennedy HS (last known Moonstone sighting) and Baekos Creek, the Moonstone dropped off the back of my pack. That was back in 2000 and I still miss that jacket. I bet if you did a seach, there are probably 8 posts by me about the loss of that jacket. I mean it was sharp.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Apr 06, 2006 9:07 pm 
I'm still trying to wrestle the Svea away from my Dad. frown.gif I know I could get on Ebay and buy my own Svea 123, but it wouldn't be the same. There's something about that stove's mildly terrifying ignition process that just can't be beat. I don't look hot in any of my hiking clothes, quite frankly. I look downright dorky most of the time. Nothing goes together. I look stupid in hats. None of the pants that will actually hold up look good on me. The pair of pants I bought last year that did look good shredded on their second trip (and I'm talking not patchable, ready for the garbage can shredded). I do carry my old trusty leatherman because I like it. I know it's heavy, but it's a reasuring heft. I know with that I have the tools to fix most anything, and I like that feeling. My Clip Flashlight is another old trusty friend. It's never let me down. There are lighter, cooler looking tents out there - but the Clip has seen me through ice storms, high winds, heavy rains... you name it. My old aluminum pots also always come along (either the big one or the little one, not both at the same time). I literally grew up with them. My Dad used them for cooking when we were camping, I took them to college and used them in my kitchen until I could afford to buy actual pots and pans, and they're still going strong now. I see absolutely no reason to replace the pots - they still work just fine despite a few dents and dings. Oh, and the Backcountry Bistro mug always comes along. It's so bulky that half the time it has to hang from the back of my pack, BUT it makes great coffee. Actual, real coffee - not freeze dried powder, not that awful tea bag stuff - real ground coffee. It's my one big vice. It sounds like I'm carrying alot of weight, but really my 2 day pack weight is 19 lbs. That includes water and food.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Apr 07, 2006 6:33 am 
Quark wrote:
Somewhere between Kennedy HS (last known Moonstone sighting) and Baekos Creek, the Moonstone dropped off the back of my pack.
Are you a graduate a Kennedy HS or were you just there dropping articles of clothing in a futile attempt to meet boys?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Apr 07, 2006 7:17 am 
kleet wrote:
Quark wrote:
Somewhere between Kennedy HS (last known Moonstone sighting) and Baekos Creek, the Moonstone dropped off the back of my pack.
Are you a graduate a Kennedy HS or were you just there dropping articles of clothing in a futile attempt to meet boys?
class of '83 here smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Apr 07, 2006 11:25 am 
I'm too much of a snob to go the zip-off pant leg route, so I often bring long pants AND shorts (or a miniskirt) instead of dorking out with the zip-offs. I also often have 2-3 pairs of socks and underwear with me, more a matter of aesthetics than fashion sense though.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dante

Dante
PostFri Apr 07, 2006 11:28 am 
Hiker Boy wrote:
....not because it was your lightest, most appropriate, most luxurious, or the only choice, but because it was just so fun to play with it?
Yep - frequently.
Hiker Boy wrote:
What about clothing?...Ever substitute something which wasn't quite as functional just because you look more pimp?
Nope