Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > New members/intro thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puritan

puritan
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 12:18 pm 
newcomers
Hi Marylou and everyone, I am new to discussion forums, but here goes. My dad was in the Forest Service when I was a kid, so my first memories are seeing beautiful places. I have hiked in Utah, Calif., Idaho, and Wash. I love lakes and trees, just like all of you. Have been to Alaska; loved it. Just want to get out more and enjoy nature. Hoping for a trip to Ranier this summer. Any suggestions? With knee problems I don't go far without pain, but hiked 12 miles round trip at Redfish Lake in Idaho a couple of years ago. I enjoy looking at all the beautiful pictures you all post. I am envious. puritan

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CT

CT
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 8:34 pm 
Longtime lurker, recent poster, my name is Chris, and I dwell in Tacoma. 30 years old and I have a KILLER record collection cool.gif . I like river hikes, and pretty much stay on trail. Large elevation gains in short distances are not my friends, nor my knees. I'd like to get back into fishing againn this year. 2006 will mark my supreme domination of the compass and navigating with a map. I finally found a tent long enough to cram myself into. I favor the Olympics over the Cascades, gin over whiskey, records over CD's, and Taco Del Mar over Taco Bell. I really, really, really hate snakes. When I'm not lurking here, I tell everyone I'm a carpenter. See you on the boards when I think of something worthwhile to post! agree.gif ct

-- CT
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Apr 10, 2006 9:29 pm 
Just a note to all the new names and faces... Despite some of the antics and craziness in some of the recent threads, we're really a bunch of friendly folks here. Things tend to get a little "jittery" here in the limbo between the end of ski season and the start of the good weather / hiking season. A few people have been hibernating through the cold winter months and are just waking up to find more snow than anticipated and their planned April hikes delayed by a few weeks. They get cranky when that happens and post belligerent diatribes until the high country begins to melt. Rest assured, you'll soon find a plethora of new Trip Reports and tons of useful and threads full of interesting hiking-related discussion. (During the hiking season people even generally tend to stay on-topic. Mostly. Sometimes.) Until then, bear with us, enjoy the banter, read old Trip Reports, and dream of summer sunshine and high alpine traverses. Your ever humble court jester, DHM

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Chucky

Chucky
PostTue Apr 11, 2006 9:00 am 
Winter IS the best and most interesting and challenging time for backpacking. Everything seems different and unfamiliar yet familiar, you know, like driving in a lite for, you know where you are but yet your perception is just a little off. Waking in the morning and finding 1/2 inch of breath frost covering your bag and the inside of the tent is,PUN INTENDED, sooo cool. The air is clear and refreshing and super crisp. Walking on firm snow is like walking on a cushion. And of course coffee with a little coco tastes soooooooo much better than when commuting. If you haven't been out go and have a cup of coco coffee and see for yourself. OH yea take a -20 degree bag and a terma-rest and a foam pad it makes all the difference. With the right equipment you can do 3 days and still only pack 30 to 35 lbs. ENJOY smile.gif

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Apr 11, 2006 12:32 pm 
Perhaps we should have a sticky that explains all the in-jokes as well.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
rangermatt

rangermatt
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:05 am 
Hey all, It's funny, two-and-a-half years ago I had never been backpacking, had only car-camped once or twice with my best friend's family, and didn't particularly enjoy hiking. Now, it's basically my life. There's just something about moving away from the PNW to dreary, boring Michigan that make you realize what makes the Northwest so great to begin with. That, and the fact that I discovered I loved geology and became a geology major, gave me a passion for the outdoors I never had before. Now, when the school year ends in a month and a half, I'll be headed back to Seattle for two days, before turning south for Sequoia National Park for my 2nd season as a Park Ranger (last summer I was in Yosemite). Sadly, this means I will once again miss out on all the Cascade hikes I want to do, but Seattle is still my home and I have the rest of my life to explore the Cascades. Look forward to hanging around here for sometime!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:24 am 
David & Karen wrote:
Perhaps we should have a sticky that explains all the in-jokes as well.
I'd probably recommend that people discover it for themselves. Trying to explain a joke tends to defuse any humor the joke once had. They'll undoubtedly see funny words used from time to time and search them out and see the history of said words and just how they've been nurtured (or beaten to death). wink.gif If it's really not obvious, they'll ask, and we'll undoubtedly, laughingly reply with way more detail than they'd ever want to know.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:40 am 
So what you are saying is that we should keep the in-jokes secret? Newbies have to earn the right to learn them? You elitist!

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:51 am 
David & Karen wrote:
You elitist!
I keep tellin' ya, there ain't no such thing around here...just Leftists and Titleists. hockeygrin.gif Now if you freakin armatures will excuse me, I'm going to strap on some clamps and go hinking with a reel fotographer.

summit22
Sole Toucher

summit22
Sole Toucher
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am 
Hi ML and everyone. Greetings, I'm E. G. Owens. EGO for short, though some call me the sole toucher of nature photography. I used to be an armature and post my valyabull pitchers on websights for people to steel, but now I am a professional and will be doing slideshows at REI of my most difficult treks to places like Snowqualmie Lake, Lake 22, etc. It makes my lawyers alot happier because its harder for folks to steel my pitchers that way. Not to worry, I will be posting occasional trip reports here and pitchers for some of my non-technical climbs.

You could be dishonest as most people are and crop off the copyright which I've registered with the US Copyright Office
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 12, 2006 11:59 am 
CT wrote:
When I'm not lurking here, I tell everyone I'm a carpenter.
Sorry, Pal, you're too late. The religious thread got locked.
CT wrote:
See you on the boards when I think of something worthwhile to post!
Why wait? Waiting til something worthwhile comes up never stopped anyone else from posting stuff.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Pete

Pete
PostThu Apr 13, 2006 2:28 pm 
dzane wrote:
Pete, try late September for your Wonderland dates. Fewer people, still good weather (most of the time.) I have done September WT trips twice and most of the time had good weather, except for two days of hard rain and one day of snow and wind up on Emerald Ridge. Fall colors are spectacular in the upper meadows in September.
Thanks for the advice. As it turns out, I got the whole itinerary that I requested by just starting a day earlier. I'll be hitting the trail on July 26th. up.gif

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 1:32 pm 
Howdy folks, I've been lurking here off and on for a couple of years, and I've posted a few times (to give away some boots). I grew up tramping the ridges and mountains of eastern TN and western NC, spent a few years in purgatory (aka Dallas, TX), then ended up here in the lovely Pacific Northwest about 10 years ago. While I haven't done any overnight backpacking trips in about 15 years, I do get out for dayhikes regularly. From mid-April to mid-September, I hike every Thursday evening with a group from work. (We hike trails along I-90, from Cougar Mtn to Kendall Katwalk.) I usually get in a few dayhikes at Mt Rainier each year, as well. (My favorite so far is probably Panhandle Gap, though hiking from Box Canyon to Indian Bar and back was really nice.) I also got to hike up Mt St Helens a few years ago. I'm starting to gear up for some longer trips, and hope to explore beyond the I-90 corridor and Mt Rainier. (Of course, this assumes I can convince my wife to stop finding so many projects for me around the house...) I also enjoy sea kayaking (built my own plywood stitch & glue kayak from a kit), reading, and music (listening and playing). Cheers, John

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 8:10 pm 
Hi, everyone! I have been lurking around for the most part, not quite sure when/how to jump in, so thanks for the official invite. I used to hike all the time until a few years ago, then I started nursing school so that kind of put a damper on the hiking (and every other fun thing bawl.gif ) temporarily. When I do go it is above-tree-line dayhikes up at MRNP, usually Sunrise, sometimes Paradise. Last summer I discovered the Naches Loop. I've done bits and pieces of the Wonderland over the years, mostly as dayhikes. I still have left to do the N. Puyallup-Mowich Lake, Panhandle Gap-Nickel Creek, Box Canyon-Reflection Lake, and Indian Henry's-St Andrew's Lake sectors. One of these days I will do the whole thing but I don't know when I am ever going to have a 2-week block of time off in the foreseeable future. I have been doing trail work up at MRNP also, day-long workparties with a group called MRNPA, weeklongs with the Sierra Club and the WTA. Got one coming up this Aug with the WTA, one last campout out in the woods before I start my new career as a nurse biggrin.gif . So I will be back out there hiking very shortly, and hope to come across many of you out on the trails! cool.gif

Sarah

Sarah
PostFri Apr 14, 2006 8:29 pm 
Hi all! I've also been mainly lurking for the last few months. :O) Well, with an occasional post anyway. I've been backpacking and hiking for about the last 5 years or so and absolutely love it! I have hiked mainly in the cascades, but also have done a hike in the Olympics and have done some hiking in Maui. For our first date, I took my now husband to Green Mountain, and this summer, I had the joy of taking my 7y/o stepdaughter on her very first backpack. :O) It was awesome! (See my avatar) Anyway, just wanted to also jump in and introduce myself officially. :O)