Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Granite Falls area historical slide shows schedule
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Feb 28, 2003 3:13 pm 
Here's the schedule for the Granite Falls Historical Society's series of historical slide shows celebrating the town's centennial this year. Held at 7pm in the Commons Room at the Middle School in Granite Falls. I attended the show last night, "Everett and Monte Cristo Railroad-The Glory Years", given by Phil Woodhouse and Daryl Jacobson (co-authors of the Everett & Monte Cristo Railway book by Oso Publishing). The room was packed. Woodhouse narrated the hour long slide show of images seen in the book. Questions were taken from the audience afterwards. He and Jacobson also signed any books by them that folks brought with them. Bob Miller of Everett followed with a short slide show about the area's logging railroads. I would think that these shows would be ideal for someone looking for an introduction to the area's history, followed up by a more in-depth reading from books like Woodhouse's "Monte Cristo" and other regional histories & guides. Woodhouse was mentioning to folks before the show that he and others are presently working on Vol. 3 of their "Discovering Washington's Historic Mines" series, which evidently will include the Pasayten and Okanogan areas- Vol. 2 is just out now. March 27th- "Granite Falls and the Robe Valley-Silverton, Robe, Monte Cristo"- Dave Cameron April 24th- "Building a Society-The Women behind the Men"- Louise Lindgren May 29th- "Everett and Monte Cristo Railroad-Changing hands, Tourism and Extinction"- Daryl Jacobson & Phil Woodhouse return June 26th- "Logging- When Men were Men and Trees were BIG!"- Dave Dilgard All presentations and photos by professional historians from the Pacific Northwest.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 12:42 pm 
Hey Moose, Squirrel, Karen, Quark, et al: see ya there tonight! Wish I coulda seen the foist program.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 10:55 pm 
M&S, thanks for the original post. Sawyer, thanks for the reminder. I saw Karen there but did not recognize anyone else. The slides showed many photos I had not seen before. The Mountain Loop is one of my favorite areas and it's very rich in recorded history.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:12 pm 
Unfortunately I couldn't make yesterday's slide show, hopefully some friends attended and can fill me in on what was shown. I know Dr. David Cameron is an authority on the area- I wonder if he has plans on writing a book about it. Here's a link for anyone interested to info about the Robes of Robe Valley/Granite Falls fame: http://rootsweb.com/~wasigs/robehist.htm

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:21 pm 
I wanna know if Snohomish4Lyfe made it. lol.gif

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 5:49 pm 
He's working on a book (says he has been for 8 years). It sounded like he might get it published in the near future. Hey JimK, we saw ya but you sneaked out before we could harass ya. Never saw Karen... Snowfour missed the show about BigFour.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Karen

Karen
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 9:51 pm 
Hey Sawyer
I was there!! I was there with Kathe -- we slipped out a bit before it was officially over. Looked for you several times but didn't see you. Of course, I've aged so much over the last 6 months you wouldn't recognize me anyway. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder