Forum Index > Trip Reports > Slippery Slab and Rattlesnake Ledge 05-06-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun May 07, 2006 3:20 pm 
Continuing my recent trend of easy-access and mild exertion treks, on Saturday we visited Slipper Slab in the Denny Creek area and also Rattlesnake Ledge. With the sketchy weather, snow and complex life schedule, the ability to visit these new-to-me destinations have been really enjoyable. I'm realizing that distant destinations, high mileage and high elevation gains are not always a requirement to satisfy my hiking needs. What a nice revelation. up.gif This day we started at the Denny Creek campground (exit 47 off I-90 I think) with the intention of heading up to 'slippery slab' and hopefully beyond it to additional waterfalls and possibly a lake. As I understand it, this is a very popular place in the summer as the 'slippery slab' is enjoyed by many on hot days. Today we only encountered a small handful of people, and only one solo Ms. Hiker on the actual trail. At this point, the trail to slippery slab is pretty easy to follow, although most of it is still buried underneath well-compacted snow. We brought snowshoes, wrestled with strapping them to our packs, but never needed them. Once past the Slippery Slab area, we entered a large open slope area (probably a talus slope under all that snow) and then came across an area where it appeared a lot of snow bridges were opening up. Concerned that one of us may break through and get washed away by a creek and over a cliff we decided to stop for a liquid lunch break before turning around for the day. Some Pics: I-90 Stilts
High(way) in the sky
High(way) in the sky
Slippery Slap crossing
Slippery Slab
Slippery Slab
Concentric Rock Layers above the trees
Concentric Rock Layers
Concentric Rock Layers
Funki fungi at lunch spot
Funky Fungi
Funky Fungi
Hollow Stump
Denny Creek Stump perspective
Denny Creek Stump perspective
I told you it was hollow...
Inside Hollow stump (really!)
Inside Hollow stump (really!)
We returned to the vehicle, proceeded to North Bend to drop off our packs and gear so we could huff it up Rattlesnake Ledge without worrying about gear theft from the vehicle. The Weather at Rattlesnake Ledge was mostly cloudy with some sun breaks - much better than the constant drizzle/mist at Slip. Slab. We made steady progress to the first and second ledge, lounged around, snapped a few pics and then headed back down. As expected... the trail was packed with people. I counted a total of 135 people on the trail itself... and of course a wide array of ages. Wildlife included a salamader in the middle of the trail (which we carefully relocated to a safe location close to a creek) and a beggar squirrel type animal at the first ledge.
Populated Rattlesnake Ledge
Populated Rattlesnake Ledge
That's it for this weekend. Next outing likely to be June 10th. Considering an early run to Park Butte/Railroad grade if the snowmobilers are done.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message