Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > True north
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
news

news
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 3:35 pm 
Sounds like it is changing. Does this mean eventually I will have to hold my gps upside down for it to work right? confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
sewn

sewn
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 4:13 pm 
I guess they would have to reprint all the compasses too. mad.gif

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSat Mar 29, 2003 4:20 pm 
I knew that something was happening. When I was younger I always landed on my feet after a fall. Now I seem to land on my head more often than not. Must be a magnetic pole reversal.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dale

Dale
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 8:08 pm 
Reminds me of that the compass I took(over forty years ago) from Boulder, Colorado to Ellsworth Station, Antarctica did not work well on the ice. Partly because the magnetic field is into(or out of) the earth in the northern hemisphere but out of(or into) the earth in the southern hemisphere. So the balancing weight was on the wrong arm(south pole seeking arm instead of north pole seeking arm, as I remember) and the needle dug into the compass face instead of swinging freely. It worked better if I tilted the entire compass but I could not tilt it enough. Of course there are other problems caused by being close to the geographic pole, and the magnetic dip pole, and the geomagnetic pole, and the...

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 9:25 pm 
Dale, were you doing research at Ellsworth Station? Any photos?

Dale

Dale
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 10:35 pm 
I spend 13 months at Ellsworth Station(floating ice shelf), returned home to spend all my earnings on a brand new bright red MGA, road trip to Alaska, etc. then returned to Byrd Station(80 degrees south on the polar plateau) for 15 months. Some info at http://www.lib.ohio-state.edu/arvweb/polar/oralhist/interviews/reed.htm I have about a thousand 35mm Kodachrome "snapshots" taken with a folding Retina IIIc and a IIIC. Most of the photos are still beautiful when projected on a screen. I have a scanner now. What would you like to see? Most of my penguin photos are green and faded because I was shooting Anscochrome at that time and I guess the film was damaged when it got too warm crossing the equator.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Mar 30, 2003 11:33 pm 
Quote:
Isolated under the ice with 40 other intrepid explorers.
Sounds like an interesting time! What does the above phrase in the interview form mean? I wouldn't mind seeing a few representative slides of the area you were in (under the ice? tents, boat that dropped you off?). Even a faded penguin would be neat.