Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Peak 5/14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostMon May 15, 2006 6:38 am 
Excuse after excuse has made for a long winter and left me terribly out of shape and frustrated. So with excuses aside and gorgeous weather predicted for the weekend I set off to take care of some unfinished business. You can now drive all the way to the TH. Just a small patch of snow just before but easy to get past. The snow was firm on the trip in and the trail was easy to follow because of the use. Lake is still frozen over but thawing around edges would make for a questionable crossing after the days warm. The trip was set up for two legs. One, to the lake and an overnight stay and two , summit early morn and out. All went as planned. Had a bit of company but not bad. Most everyone were climbers going up the North buttress and the N. E. Couloir so I had the glacier to myself. Walked the lake in the morning but skirted it coming back. The snow was getting a bit sloppy on the way out. There was a 10 degree difference from the day before. I would predict the trail continuing to worsen for the next few weeks as the winter trail crosses many dead fall. I wouldn't want to be the one that punches through to a snow cave while crossing the boulder fields either. I took snowshoes but didn't use them. Wore crampons up the glacier just for a little surer footing.
From the Colchuck Lake
From the Colchuck Lake
Colchuck Glacier
Colchuck Glacier
Looking over at Dragontail
Looking over at Dragontail
From the top of Colchuck Peak
From the top of Colchuck Peak

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Don

Don
PostMon May 15, 2006 8:06 am 
Excellent! I had strongly considered this trip myself this weekend, but alas went north instead. Hmmm... How were snow conditions on the glacier going up?

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon May 15, 2006 3:49 pm 
Oren, great pics and TR. Your weather looked superb. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 15, 2006 4:53 pm 
Nice pics, Oren! Thanks for the TR...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostMon May 15, 2006 5:41 pm 
Don wrote:
Excellent! I had strongly considered this trip myself this weekend, but alas went north instead. Hmmm... How were snow conditions on the glacier going up?
North is good smile.gif Firm, probably didn't need the crampons but they made things easier. The glissade down was a kick. Thanks guys, it was just great finally getting out again.

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.