Forum Index > Trip Reports > 3/30/2003 - Denny Creek, Keekwulee Falls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 1:00 am 
Headed out I-90 and took Exit 47 for Denny Creek. Brian and I arrived and parked near the trailhead (2357') at 9:30am. Destination in mind was Melakwa and Upper Melakwa Lakes, with Melakwa Pass as a possibility depending on time. The packed snow on top of the trail wasn't bad, all the way up through the footbridge at the slick rocks (2650'). From here on up, though, the trail hadn't seen as much use. A couple switchbacks and we were presented with glorious snowfields, blinding sunlight, and our first views of The Tooth. Once we got out in the open, we started postholing in the soft snow. Decided to pull on our snowshoes around 2850'. Kept high on the slope and had some great views of The Tooth and nice photos of Keekwulee falls. Sun was brilliant, blue skies overhead, and alas, the nice weather was our undoing. The combination of really soft snow and some poorly functioning snowshoes did me in and we settled on dropping down from our high point (3350') to have lunch on top of the falls. Headed back to the car after a long lunch and a little wading (!) and arrived at the trailhead at 2:55pm. Enjoyable day altogether, even if our plans were cut short.
Keekwulee Falls
Keekwulee Falls
Keekuwlee Falls, right channel
Keekuwlee Falls, right channel

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 9:59 am 
Wasn't there a rescue there on Friday or this weekend.

Art is an adventure.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 10:43 am 
Might very well have been. I did notice a couple blue flags marking the trail on our way down. Wasn't us that needed saving. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Mar 31, 2003 5:16 pm 
The news said that someone was popping off a few rounds at the hikers. Did you hear any wizz by your ears?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 12:36 am 
Mike Collins wrote:
The news said that someone was popping off a few rounds at the hikers. Did you hear any wizz by your ears?
*scratches Denny Creek off of to-do list for this year* eek.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Apr 01, 2003 8:39 am 
Happy to report nary a bullet, BB, or mortar shell during the course of our travels. Where did you guys see/hear about the shootings? Next time I'm up there (I'll probably give it a good month or two) I'll be coming in past Snow and Gem and out via Melakwa and Denny Creek.