Forum Index > Trail Talk > What kind of hiking boots do you wear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 7:07 pm 
My last boots were Salomon Adventure 8's and I use use Salomon Powderspikes in the winter. My regular hiking boots are now Merrell Guide's. All three work well with my wide feet and crampons. Rubber boots are the most common hiking boots used in Scandanavian countries. I could use a pair hiking out to the Olympic Coastline every winter.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
El Puma

El Puma
PostWed Apr 09, 2003 7:20 pm 
After a pair of Salomon Authentic 8's (the high ones) that fit really well and I really liked but lacked longevity, I got some LaSportiva's. Put about 200 miles on them with not a chance of getting past 1hr uphill without getting major blisterage. I appreciate REI's return policy! Now I use a Meindl (from Cabelas) light "hunting" boot for summers and the Koflachs for winters. They are stone-old but just received new liners and are warm and comfortable. I like the stability for step-kicking and the size 13 long flat sole for glissading (handles like my GS-racing boards!). I am actively searching for a mid-weight boot inbetween the two; my foot is an extraordinarily difficult fit though, even with custom-poured inlays. Wide, low-volume... Any ideas while I have your attention?

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 8:14 pm 
If you want an all-leather boot that breaks in easy / "comes broken in" look at Danners. Great boots. I gots my redneck "Ft Lewis Boots" for the winter (10", waterproof, insulated) and I just adore my Mountain Light IIs in better weather. Lovely feature of the Mountain Lights is that the laces go dang near to your toe-tips, making the fit easy to adjust, and making the boot really easy to get in and out of, which is a nice change from beating sore swollen doggies in and out of your boots. Not cheap retail, check the factory outlet out by the airport in Portland for half off price w/out the standard warranty. Good people there, too. PS, living in Eugene in the early 80s, used to see Mary Decker and Alberto Salazar around town sometimes. It's a track-crazy town.

Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 8:14 pm 
I should specify: Danner makes gore-tex lined all leather boots, not all leather as in purely leather and nothing else...

Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostThu Apr 10, 2003 11:18 pm 
I've got two pair. My first are a pair of REI Raichle GTX's. These are my serious hiking boots. They're pretty stiff, and I'm still breaking them in (or they are still breaking my feet in!!). I've got a pair of Hi-Tec's that are my around home shoes. The Hi-Tec's were not a planned purchase, realized that I didn't have any good walking shoes when going to the Puyallup Fair, and stopped at a Fred Meyer. The fit is good, but the laces go up too far which make them slow to get on or off.

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy