Forum Index > Trail Talk > The big thaw
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 12:45 pm 
I haven't been out in ages, but it seems like snow is still accumulating above 5000'. Are you guys still thinking there's gonna be an "early" hiking season this year or are we gonna be forced to bag those pesky peaks for a while?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
skookum ouzel

skookum ouzel
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 1:40 pm 
All winter long, I figured we'd get a good and early start to the hiking season. Now I am thinking otherwise. Last weekend, I hiked from Rattlensake Lake, up the ledge, and over to Snoqualmie Pt. (the old winery). Much of it was in snow, and at the top it was over a foot deep, and still accumulating. We were told to expect partly sunny skies! Hopefully, all this snow is just winter's last ragged gasp, and the peaks will be accessible soon. (please, please, please, oh please!!!) Things better clear up - I just got approval to take leave for 6/28 - 7/14 to hike the Wonderland Trail. I will have a bone to pick with ol' Ma Nature if she foils my plans! grrr!!! lol.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 5:43 pm 
Maybe some places will be early and others will be normal. Sno. Pass only has 58% of its average snowfall; Stevens has 78% but Baker, Crystal and Hurricane Ridge are about average for the year.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 11:01 pm 
I think we'll see the central Cascades be earlier than usual...mainly since this region usually gets dumped on so much each winter. Like already stated Snoqualmie Pass is only 58% of normal, and the 3300' level in the Teanaways is sitting on only 18" left on the ground. For certain trails that are <4500' will be early starters this year...much of the winter the snow level was 5000' instead of 3000'. The NE corner of the state is also melting out fast for great early trips to the Okanagan Highlands and other areas. Or...you could just go to the Columbia Basin and forget about the snow and enjoy flowers...NOW. Today was intoxicating over there.... dizzy.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 11, 2003 11:21 pm 
Excellent photos as usual, Alan. I love the fence post photo!