Forum Index > Trip Reports > Noble Nob, Mutton Mountain and flowers, oh those flowers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 8:34 pm 
Stats: Gain: 4400' Mileage: 12.5 Time: 7 hours (including an hour lunch on Noble) Gear: Boots and poles (hat, sunglasses and sunscreen!) Bugs: Yes, but the breeze kept them down A scorcher was in the making. Sadie already had huffed and puffed through a Saturday monitoring the driver as she worked in the garden. Sunday was to be much warmer and it was time to get out on the trail - somewhere. Hopefully, there might be some snow. Trail Pair had headed out for an overnight up north by Mt. Baker. Hiker Jim was up for a more "local" hike, and friends Joe and Kate were game for an adventure with Sadie. Noble Nob was such a fun hike last March (when there was very little snow), Sadie believed that there might be some snow left to cool her tootsies on this sure-to-be record-breaking day of heat. Left Queen Anne at a little after 7:00 a.m. to pick up Kate at the Park and Ride off Bellevue Way; then on to 405 South and 169 to 410 and head south towards the entrance to Mt. Rainier National Park. Be aware, because there really isn't a roadsign indicating the way to the trailhead. It's about a mile south of Buck Creek Campground. There will be a roadsign that says FS 7170 (to your left). Be advised, however, that you are turning onto what appears to be a private road with lots of little recreational cabins. The road dead ends in about 3/4 of a mile - and there is room for about 3 cars max to park. There is an outhouse up the hill a little - but I wouldn't suggest that one plan to spend much time there! Rustic at best. The trail is actually due east of the off of the road - you can hear the roar of Deep Creek.
Trailhead at the end of FS 7170
Trailhead at the end of FS 7170
Deep Creek at start of trail
Deep Creek at start of trail
Head toward that sound. DO NOT cross the creek. You follow the creek only a short distance.
Start of Deep Creek Trail
Start of Deep Creek Trail
Deep Creek Trail
Deep Creek Trail
This is important to note, because there is no water after this point, so your 4-legged friend will need to rely on you for water. The trail doesn't waste time starting up. It's a series of switchbacks - there are several downed trees across this route - nothing you can't negotiate - just a diversion.
Sadie pondering the way to negotiate this down tree blocking the trail
Sadie pondering the way to negotiate this down tree blocking the trail
Not a lot of bugs, but they are there. Having a breeze helped to keep the bugs down. The trail gets serious quickly. You have about a 3000' climb up to the trail junction that intersects the Corral Pass trail (for those of you less adventurous, you actually can drive to within 2 miles of the Noble Nob junction and take the trail that gains very little in those two miles. Sadie was surprised that there was very little snow on the trail - very little left in spots here and there. It won't be there by the end of this week.
Remaining small patches of snow in the forest heading to trail junction with Corral and Noble Nob
Remaining small patches of snow in the forest heading to trail junction with Corral and Noble Nob
Nice not to have snowshoes, crampons and/or ice ax. Only hiking poles. And the flowers - - - oh the flowers! Another stellar weekend of flowers. Lots and lots of wild strawberries. Actually, we were early for the lupine and the paintbrush - but it won't be long. (Check Hiker Jim's report for better pictures - I got something on my camera lens and didn't realize it! Sorry)
Vanilla Leaf and Oregon Grape
Vanilla Leaf and Oregon Grape
Not sure what these little blue flower are - almost look like Howell's Triteleia
Not sure what these little blue flower are - almost look like Howell's Triteleia
Blue Anemone(?)
Blue Anemone(?)
Glacier Lily up close
Glacier Lily up close
Glacier Lilies spread along a hillside
Glacier Lilies spread along a hillside
Soon we were at the "overlook" just before the junction, where we got the full meal deal pic of Rainier.
A little known peak in Western Washington
A little known peak in Western Washington
We did see a group of three guys headed to Noble Nob right at the junction - one of their group was ahead on the trail up to Noble.
Noble Nob with trail visible on side of hill
Noble Nob with trail visible on side of hill
Hiker on the way up to Noble Nob
Hiker on the way up to Noble Nob
We were on top of Noble with the three guys - think they came up from Tacoma. We decided to spend a little time on the top of Noble. A beautiful location for a lovely lunch. A nice breeze to tone down the heat and keep the bugs in check. cool.gif The views were spectacular - opening up to the Stuart (thanks, Jim) Range, Glacier Peak, Snoqualmie Pass and points north; then across (of course) to Mt. Rainier and the Sherman/Steamboat Prow side of the mountain; and then south towards Norse and Crystal Mountain. We also had great views of several lakes. The trail from the junction to Noble Nob was virtually brown. Only minimal snow. After a lovely lunch on Noble, we headed back.
Summit Sadie (with some kind of a drop on the lens) on Noble Nob and her luncheon view
Summit Sadie (with some kind of a drop on the lens) on Noble Nob and her luncheon view
Hiker Jim and friends Kate and Joe with the big snow cone as a lunch vista
Hiker Jim and friends Kate and Joe with the big snow cone as a lunch vista
George Lake below Noble Nob
George Lake below Noble Nob
When we got to the junction, Kate, Jim, Sadie and the driver decided to head towards Mutton Mountain for an added 300' feet of fun. Joe decided to head back to the cars. In about 1/3 mile we reached a way-trail towards Mutton.
Mutton Mountain with mutt heading up the trail
Mutton Mountain with mutt heading up the trail
Up we went and in another 1/3 of mile we were on top - lovely views that included Mt. Adams. What a treat.
Hiker Jim on Mutton Mt. with the Big "R" behind
Hiker Jim on Mutton Mt. with the Big "R" behind
Mutt on mountain (Sadie on Mutton Mt. with Noble Nob behind her)
Mutt on mountain (Sadie on Mutton Mt. with Noble Nob behind her)
Looking south to Adams
Looking south to Adams
Sadie chillin' on the small patch of remaining snow
Sadie chillin' on the small patch of remaining snow
We also ran across more lovely flowers that we hadn't seen earlier (Anemone and Buttercup)
Snow Buttercup
Snow Buttercup
Western Anemone
Western Anemone
Lovely yellow flower growing in a clump with grass-like leaves
Lovely yellow flower growing in a clump with grass-like leaves
The obligatory Magenta Indian Paintbrush and
The obligatory Magenta Indian Paintbrush and
That little side trip was worth about 45 minutes. We got back to the trail junction and headed down. In about a 1/2 mile, we were greeted by 5 mountain bike riders heading out the Deep Creek Trail. They were doing a loop from Corral down to Deep Creek and then back to Corral frown.gif Anyway, it was a hot hike down and we all agreed we could have used more water for this day. Sadie was one hot dog. She couldn't get back to Deep Creek soon enough. It was a lovely hike otherwise. So nice for the first 4 miles, because you don't see anyone - no one really goes up through Deep Creek. Once we got to the junction, we saw 4 or 5 different groups plus the biking group. No one was up on Mutton. Sadie had a nice jump in the creek and was ready for a snooze on the way home. The chilled Diet Coke was a welcome refresher. Good choice. up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 8:51 pm 
beautiful photos - what a great weekend to go outside!!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 8:57 pm 
Quote:
beautiful photos - what a great weekend to go outside!!
Thanks. It was wonderful. Nice and toasty - but a cool breeze helped. Enjoy! the driver

l

l
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:40 pm 
SD, I always enjoy your informative TRs and nice photos. And a big bow-wow salute to Sadie - she can really climb! I think the first blue flower is Jacob's Ladder (aka polemonium).

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 5:53 am 
Quote:
SD, I always enjoy your informative TRs and nice photos. And a big bow-wow salute to Sadie - she can really climb! I think the first blue flower is Jacob's Ladder (aka polemonium). hmmm - description didn't fit the flower well, but could be. (Sadie hasn't met a climb or scramble she didn't love!) Thx. sd

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 6:13 am 
Thanks for the TR and pics. I was wondering about Knoble knob last weekend and was told it was not accesible..so Ms. Poo and I did Dog mt. instead Sadie meet Artemis (aka: Ms. Poo)

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 9:03 am 
Quote:
Thanks for the TR and pics. I was wondering about Knoble knob last weekend and was told it was not accesible..so Ms. Poo and I did Dog mt. instead
Aha - probably those slackers who go into Noble via Corral Pass! (much shorter and much easier route to do it via Corral rather than Deep Creek only gain about 1000' total as opposed to almost 4000'). The folks we ran into who came in via Corral said that the snow added about another 1/2 mile or so to that route - but, it is definitely doable. Great views from Noble. Even better views from Norse Peak - which is an alternative. Sadie would respond to Ms. Poo personally, but she is resting comfortably right now. She'll check her e-mails later. the driver

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 9:02 pm 
I have posted 30 photos from the hike here: Noble Knob Photos Here are a few:
Deep Creek
Deep Creek
Summit Shot
Summit Shot
Rainier Framed
Rainier Framed