Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Eastern Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 9:49 pm 
> Is it wrong to take what we find ?? I would say that yes, it is wrong. I would visit these abandoned homesteads, and leave all that I see exactly as I found it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 6:38 am 
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/outdoors/2003076238_nwwmuseumofmonth22.html Whatever you do please alert these good folks of your find. up.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 7:42 am 
I think what you're thinking of doing is illegal under Washington law. Here's a link if you want to research it.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 8:23 am 
Here is a story about Native American artifact removal: My mother was a world traveler. In about 1970 she went on a tour to a remote part of Mexico's Yucatan where they visited a recently discovered Mayan temple. They were not the first to visit this site. After she returned to Seattle she showed us her find's: Seven ash tray sized figurines which she had looted from the Mayan site. These things would have decorated the tops of doorways, etc.. Somebody was bound to steal these artifacts. A few years lated I read in the newspaper that the Mexican government was asking travelers to return any artifacts they had taken from the Mayan sites, and I told my mother. Still, the stone ornaments remained in a plastic bag in her closet. Later she passed away. What became of them? My father says that he dosen't have a clue. My sister says that she dosen't have a clue. I guess that it Isn't know what became of them. And a little piece of history is missing. Is there a lesson here confused.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 8:39 am 
Me and my wife used to go through old homesteads prior to having kids on our travels from Seattle to SLC through Oregon and Idaho. We never did take anything, it was just the fun of looking at these farms, seeing what was left behind and such. Onetime we were in a home in Oregon standing in a bedroom when we heard some footsteps.......spooked the heck out of us. It ended up being rats in the walls and being creeped out we got out of that place. Looking for items to take home was not even on our mind. Besides, there really is not much in those buildings except maybe the home itself. It would be a shame IMO if people went in and started stripping out doors, cupboards, etc....... If its not yours, you should not take it. Someone owns this property so taking anything from it would be stealing IMO.

Jake

Jake
PostMon Jun 26, 2006 7:18 pm 
Old homesteads
Jimbo my old friend, Why back when, my grandfather traded a team of horses for 160 acres of raw sagebrush covered hills between Wenatchee and Chelan. On those 160 acres he built a large two story home and some out building and raised four kids with the help of several milk and beef cows and a good size garden in that arid canyon. It was there that my mother met my father who came to work in a mine for my grandfather. That gave special meaning to the place for me. When WWII started he sold and bought a farm near Monroe and traveled to Kirkand to work in the shipyards there. In the early fifties and I was still very young, there was a large family reunion down near the foot of the old canyon and my father, not being the type to socialize much took me up to the old ranch. I still remember the special thrill I got from walking in and out of the old rooms. An old wooden crank telephone still hung on the livingroom wall, battery dead but the phone in good shape. Several old flat irons lay on the stove as if they were just waiting for grandma to come light the fire so the days ironing could begin. I still have vivid memories of that day. The house is gone now as well as the out buildings and all has been replaced with sagebrush and tumbleweed. Someone robed my kids and grandkids of seeing and exploring their heritage by taking those items and pulling the house down. That is somewhat arid country over there and I'm sure the buildings would still be standing today although not as strong as when I saw it that very special day in my life. Remember the ghost town I told you about with the blacksmiths tools still in the shop, the old hotel with the beds still in it and the house ready for someone to move into? It's all gone now Jimbo. Someone looted that place too. All that's left are the memories. No buildings, no tools, no telephone; just memories now. What a shame.

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 5:00 am 
Thanks for the responses, you can all relax. I was just asking for some info not a class at Sunday school. I find this site to be FULL of opinion's and info. So until next time, : moon.gif

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostTue Jun 27, 2006 6:59 am 
Permision, could be looked at like that ? Well I've been to a lot of place's with a lot of cool stuff and it's ALL still there. If you find a $5 bill in the store do you turn it in of keep it. It's not yours. Have you ever gotten more change back than you were suppose to, what did you do ? It can go on and on and on.. All I was doing was asking for input. I started check for Land owners yesterday and will continue until I find the owner. I will ask for free but am willing to pay for rusty stuff.. So there ya go.. Lime Kiln is a sad story, I was involved in the building and seen all of it before it was open. I'd say half is gone but that's Man for you..

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians