Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chokwich Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 8:46 pm 
The weather last Sunday morning was horrendous. It rained all the way to trailhead and then followed us up to 3,000' where the precipitation turned to snow. I put my outerwear and boots on in the car to avoid the dampness as long as I could. Beave and I teamed up for this peak, Pt. 5662, AKA Chokwich, in the Bedal Quad. It is found to the north of Big Four. We started out on the Perry Creek trail and hiked it almost snowfree for the first two mile until reaching the Perry Creek falls. Then we stayed on the right side of the creek until reaching the basin. This route crossed several avalanche slopes where snow had shucked off the adjacent walls in the previous days. We walked atop the clumps of piled snow toward our destination. Once in the valley there is a waterfall that courses over slabby rock for about 100 feet. The sound is everpresent. To the left of this waterfall is a slope with cedars that we took toward a wide smileshaped saddle at 5,300'. On the map this saddle appears SE of Pt. 4965. Once atop this saddle/ridge one can see the first views of Chokwich. But how to get there was the perplexing problem for us. We gained elevation SE from the 5300' saddle to a highpoint that offered a narrow connecting slope to the key northerly directed 5200' ridge that brings one to Chokwich itself. The final several hundred feet of gain to the summit were done from the SSE. It was 5 1/2 hours to the summit and 2 1/2 hours to descend. The connecting ridge at 5200' was a little dicey with cornices and steep slopes to negotiate.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message