Forum Index > Trail Talk > Break In's: Let's Exchange Stories =(
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 9:06 pm 
Err, sorry Thomas. Our man Newt got me going. Anyway here's to looking forward to never having to deal with that kind of crap (traihead break ins) Most criminals are plainly stupid, and they get cought. I have a few friends who are police officers and they'll tell you the same things. If you're smart, and you plan correctly for the right amount of time, crime can infact pay! For me the risk ISN'T worth the reward! I'd rather be poor and be able to backpack, than risk getting locked away and not be able to.... That and the obvious moral implications that one would have to break through. Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 6:39 pm 
Why Criminals Run
If you ever approach a criminal breaking into your car at a trailhead, consider the following. That individual could have a bench warrant out for their arrest and could be looking at considerable jail time if caught. That individual could have a substantial drug addiction problem and the last thing they want is to go through withdrawal in jail. That individual could have prior felony convictions for Assault or Resisting Arrest and has no intention of letting you detain them. If you present the cornered rat scenario criminals will run over you to get away from you. Remember that the crime you see happening could only be the tip of the iceberg with what is really going on with that individual so be careful.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 8:02 pm 
Gee BPJ. Thanks for pointin' the finger. Shouldn't have brought up *gun*. It gets me excited. You know, Happieness is a warm..... Ah yes, let's just let them continue on and on and on. I'm sure they will wake up some morning and repent. Maybe even pay everyone back. + interest. Steven Segal, Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood movies are pretty popular movies. Some like the blood and guts. But I think most like the fact that someone give the bad guys what they have coming. Someone cleaned house. That's nice. Especially when in many cases the criminals have more rights than the victim. Off the hook and do it again. You think trail passes are unfair? Hmmm. Let baby rapers back out on the street so they can do it again? ? Most things happen to other people so the feelings are far removed via the news media. Some times you become the *other people*. What would you want done? If you feel comfortable and have the means of dealing with the situation then why not? So did Beave do some cussin and swearin and wishing he could get his hands on the sob/s when he became the *other people*? Besides wanting your stuff back, what did you want to do Beave? What would you have done if you caught them in the act? I hope not wait until they were done. Sure call in the plates and hope for the best. Probably teens and off the hook in no time. A pity this happens but it does. How, when and where does it stop? NN down.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Beave

Beave
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 11:37 pm 
rant.gif Oh man.... Had I had caught the individuals, I would have definately done my best to commit some criminal behavior myself.... I've put many hard earned dollars and alot of my time into that truck, and to turn a corner and see someone literally stripping the insides out would set me on fire!!!!! Had I caught them, I think I'd become highly irrational and start throwing some blows.... People like that disgust me and I'd go ballistic!!!! mad.gif Standing behind a corner and waiting for them to finish would be the last thing I'd do... I used to carry my Glock .45... A practice I should no doubt reconsider.... As long as I'm ranting (venting) I'd also like to say (no offense Slide Alder Slayer) that the justice system in this country really needs to start PUNISHING people for crimes.... If convicted of a crime, Murderers should be killed Rapist and the such should be castorated Thiefs should lose fingers and hands No more of this "slap on the wrist" crap.... If faced with actual CONSEQUENCES for their actions, maybe idiots like the ones who stole my stuff would think twice.... Another thing that really bothers me is victims being turned into criminals.... Criminals should have NO legal rights.... To think some of them come back and sue, and WIN because of their own stupidity.... Ughhh... If you are in my house (or trying to get in), you run the risk of me killing you.... If you are trying to steal stuff out of my truck, you run the risk of me killing you.... If I seriously wound you, I do not owe you or your family ANYTHING.... And whats the deal with life sentences?! Geez, I could go on and on..... Here's a pic of my ride, Craig

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 8:34 am 
Not that truck! I love that truck! That truck is awesome! Beave, you saw my car. 2 cracks in the windshield. Bad paint. Honda Civic. Garbage in the car. Cassette tapes. This all means it is a waste of time for a vandal........

Art is an adventure.
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 7:35 pm 
I had a friend several years ago that had a Toyot Celica. He would scatter some garbage around it and some 8-tracks. No one is going to steal a car with 8-tracks in it.

NAT

NAT
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 1:43 pm 
Car thiefs
Car thiefs are very bad. These people have nothing much to do except to steal someone else belongings sometimes worth less than a $1 just to get some beer. They're sick people just do it over and over again without a life in society. Thiefs or homeless must learn the fundamentals of being a human, they need to learn about buddhist philosophy to change the mind to positive instead of that stealing mind. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 11:23 pm 
On a Scout dayhike hike up at Sauk Lake two years ago, my buddy had his wheel covers "removed" from his new Chevy pickup. Nothing else was taken. The really sad part is most of the TH parking is visible from the trail while hiking up the side of the mountain. This may not seem like such a big deal, but I think the replacement cost was in the $150 range from the dealership. I have no respect for the low life scum who do these things. I'm in agreement that the beatermobile is probably the best defense against theft, unless they are truly desperate.

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 12:21 pm 
Criminals
I think for higher volume trailheads, like those located near or on the I-90 US 2 corridors, that a vehicle alarm is one of the best ways to deter thieves (criminals, dirt bags, or description of your choice) from breaking into your car. The other precaution that Packpup and I take is to open our glove box and center counsel so any thief looking in can see that there is nothing behind “door number three.” Having a hatchback also helps ease their curiosity for what could possibly be in a trunk. We also place the green trailhead thief brochure received from a ranger station stating that we keep no valuables in our car. Now these precautions may deter a break in, but not necessarily a car theft. Let me share a recent story on how un-rational a criminal can be. A defendant who was on $1,000 bail for a misdemeanant charge came in for an out of custody hearing at the Regional Justice Center District Courtroom GB. During his hearing the Judge raised his bail to $2,000. Even though the defendant knew the bail bondsman was there and that his girl friend had posted the additional $100, and all he had to do was spend a few hours in jail to be processed on the new bond, he ran from the courtroom. In this case the deputy prosecutor (former UW football player) immediately chased him, and was shortly joined by armed jail guards and the Kent Police Department. The defendant was eventually cornered by the deputy prosecutor inside a local business and laid down on the ground as police officers arrived. One of the greatest concerns expressed by the deputy prosecutor after the incident was what he would have done if the defendant resisted. The defendant was retuned to the same courtroom where the same Judge increased his bail to $22,000. My point is this, if you catch a criminal breaking into you car, the last thing that they are going to let you do is take them into custody or submit to the beating they deserve. They will do everything verbally and physically possible to get away from you, UNLESS, you have just run into a psychopath, or an individual who has such an extensive criminal history, i.e. on felony supervision and getting caught for this crime will violate him back to prison, that attempting to kill you is reasonable solution for this problem. Get a good description of the individual (as you may need to identify this person in a black and white montage) and if possible a plate number, then immediately call the police. In all likelihood local law enforcement is on a first name basis with this criminal and knows exactly where to go to arrest him.

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 7:08 pm 
I've been raided three times twice by humans once by rodent. First time at the TH to Shriner Peak LO just east of Rainier, it is right along the hwy and I was not the only one. I left nothing so they took nothing but did break my window anyway, yep really pissed me off. Second time was the cutoff trail to Lake Quinn and Lost Lake in the Norse Peak Wilderness. I got to the logging road end and saw two other cars. This was a long time ago before the masses discovered this cut off and I was surprised to see someone else there. On the way in I passes about 6 teenagers said Hi and pressed on. When I got to the lake I was so mad at all the trash and fire pit still burning they had left. I cleaned it up and got out my rod to do some fishing and saw half of a gallon milk jug floating in the middle of the lake. I got so pissed off I hurried back to catch up to them before they got out only to find my truck window busted with a hugh rock, that was so big it broke my steering wheel, and damaged the dash and passenger door. They took a cheap Kraco strero one that I thought no one would want. I jumped in and rushed down the mountain (only one way down) but never caught them. The last time I was gone for about 4-5 days and left the same truck at the Lake Dorothy TH only to return to a damaged truck that had all it's windows. Somehow a mouse (or some rodent) had gotten in through the firewall and had shredded insulation, plastic bits and some of the seats all over the place. It left little calling cards all over the dash board, so I carefully removed them. I didn't want the droppings in my ventilation system spraying hanta virus at me everytime I turned on the air. I just opened the doors for 15 minutes while I changed out of my boots on the tail gate and never saw it leave. I was worried all the way home that it would jump out while I was driving but I never saw it. Nothing since these and I hope to keep it that way. I do leave nothing and sometimes leave the doors unlocked so they wont break my windows. Jonathan