Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shuttle to Mt. Rainier from Sea-Tac?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kewhike

kewhike
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 am 
I'm planning a Wonderland Trail hike for early September and wondering if anyone has a suggestion how to get to Longmire! We'll be flying into Seattle, arriving around 2pm and planning to go straight to the park. I tried Ashford Mountain Center shuttle, and the message said they are not offering service this year. Rainier Shuttle doesn't answer the phone. Gray Line tours only offers a 10 hour trip that leaves at 8am, so that's not good either. I could rent a car, but am looking for a cheaper and more efficient way to get to Rainier.... Anyone have a suggestion?? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 10:54 am 
I am pretty sure that there is no such option from Seatac. Grayline/Seattle Tours is the only tour company going daily to Mt. Rainier to my knowledge and that's a windshield tourist tour not a transportation option and it is $70 anyway. Your choices are rent a car or find an exceedingly nice person to give you a ride.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 12:06 pm 
Here's what I found, from Port of Seattle's website: Taxi (to Ashland) $143 (approximately) On Call Limo $225 Ashford Mountain Shuttle Out of business Rainier Overland Shuttle (360) 569-0851 Rainier Shuttle Out of business Grayline Tours (206) 626-5205 Looks like Rainier Overland Shuttle may be your best bet.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
kewhike

kewhike
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 4:55 pm 
Rainier Overland is out, too
Sounds like Rainier Overland is also out of business! There's one more to try: Rainier Express 360-569-2604 I'll give it a try tomorrow, otherwise I will be on the hunt for a cheap car rental... Thanks for your replies!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 5:00 pm 
I do a lot of business travel and you said we so I think it will be difficult to find any thing but a rental that would be viable unless someone offers a lift.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
domaz

domaz
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 5:17 pm 
You could do a Taxi-Public Transportation mix. It looks like it's pretty easy to get from the airport to the "8TH ST E & STATE HWY 7" bus stop- the closest bus stop to Mt Rainier that I can find. Go to www.soundtransit.org and use the trip planner for more info. From there a Taxi would at least be a bit cheaper- but probably still cheaper/easier to rent a car.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 28, 2006 11:32 pm 
How long of a trip are you planning, and what are the days of the week involved? I love Mt Rainier, but don't go that often due to gas costs and the entrance fee. But if someone else was paying the gas/fee.... I think you get my drift. hmmm.gif

SkyeBlu

SkyeBlu
PostThu Jun 29, 2006 9:44 pm 
If you take public transportation away from Seatac going south your car rental fee will be less. Try getting a bus to Tacoma and rent from there.....or....just rent a car at the airport winksmile.gif

M'ree

M'ree
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 7:15 am 
Sooo, when in September are you planning to arrive? I might be able to help. How many of you coming out to play?

babysteps,babysteps.
kewhike

kewhike
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 3:18 pm 
Arriving September 2, finishing on Sept 15. There are 2 in my party.

M'ree

M'ree
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:59 am 
I won't be around on the 2nd, but I can shuttle you from the park to the airport on 15th. Would that help?

babysteps,babysteps.
carwreckkyle

carwreckkyle
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 6:29 pm 
I also have run into this transportation problem. A friend and I are planning a trip from Seattle area to Rainier from Aug 13 - Aug 17 or so, and it looks like we'll be forced to take a taxi or rent a car (at the ridiculous under 25 y/o rate). We'd be happy to pay for gas/fees if anyone is interested in driving there that we could hitch a ride with. Thanks.

dsumner777

dsumner777
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:10 pm 
must....get...to....rainier
this seems to be a very comman problem...wonder why all companies went out of business?... we(friend and i) are tentively starting on aug 13 and going till the 21th. we were thinking of starting near the northwest corner as it would be the closest to seattle.... we would definently be interested in gas money/park entrance for a ride exchange if that sounds good to you let me know.... Dave - "I had three pieces of limestone on my desk, but I was terrified to find that they required to be dusted daily, when the furniture of my mind was all undusted still, and threw them out the window in disgust"

Badger

Badger
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:37 pm 
has anyone contacted the biz's still in operation and let them know they are missing out on potential customers...maybe they will start a service

melissaquah

melissaquah
PostThu Aug 10, 2006 11:32 pm 
Grayline Seattle transfers to Mnt Rainier
http://graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm/mode/detail/product_id/1236 Grayline does run tours Daily (unless no one makes reservation) to Mnt until 30Sept. You can get off at any spot they stop and picked up at later day and spot in the Park along their route thru the park. You just have to pay for the tour which if you have AAA and other such you can normally get a discount on tours.