Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Cemeteries
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 05, 2004 1:18 am 
Whenever I go to Europe I like to visit cemeteries. You get a different perspective there. You see graves market well over a thousand years. There was one in Sweden that was marked 730 AD. Some pretty cool stuff. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostWed Oct 06, 2004 9:14 pm 
I pass by this site occasionally, but didn't give it any thought until I saw mpaul_hansen's post. How bizarre! I wonder if it's been on Ripley's?
Willie Keil Grave Site
Willie Keil Grave Site

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Oct 08, 2004 2:52 pm 
Timber Cruiser wrote:
I pass by this site occasionally, but didn't give it any thought until I saw mpaul_hansen's post. How bizarre! I wonder if it's been on Ripley's?
I think that sign is right by the present day cemetary in Willpa aint it?

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostFri Oct 08, 2004 4:21 pm 
Loggerman wrote:
Timber Cruiser wrote:
I think that sign is right by the present day cemetary in Willpa aint it?
It's along the highway next to the Fern Hill Cemetary a couple miles east of Raymond on Hwy 6. There was an old townsite there called Willipa. The Keils and their Bethelite sect found Willapa Bay too wet for their liking and moved on to Aurora, Oregon to establish their utopian colony.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri Oct 08, 2004 4:24 pm 
Nod, take that road past the cemetary and you drop back off onto the Golf Course highway. I remeber that sign now.

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostMon Oct 11, 2004 10:55 am 
I love cemeteries too. The Roslyn cemeteries were mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'll tell you more about them anyway.
There are about 23 of them grouped by ethnicity, fraternal lodges, etc. We even have a Druid section. There are a few cool graves that are isolated out in the woods. They can be a little spooky to happen upon. One of my favorite sections of the cemetery is owned by the now defunct Sokol Lodge... it was formed in the late 1800's and was based on 'patriotism and athletic skills'. There are only three graves there, although the section could accommodate many more. I guess they thought that the lodge would be in existence for a little longer than it was. My favorite section is called "Old City" and it was the first cemetery in town. Lots of mature Ponderosas growing up around the graves that are circled by iron fences. The trees growth over the years has made all the graves sit a little askew. There is also a cemetery in the woods outside of Ronald, but I've never been there. You can't find directions or information about it. Only the older locals know where it is. If you are ever on Kaui, there is a super-cool old cemetery near Kaloa Town. If you go to the very back of the cemetery - it looks like it's the end of the property, but it's not. It continues into a very old section that people don't really take care of anymore... it's getting taken over by tropical vines, etc. It's a very wild place with beautiful & interesting old graves intermingled with the growth. If I get a chance I'll scan some photos for ya'll.

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostThu Oct 21, 2004 6:59 am 
The Geanealogy.com website has a thing called "The virtual cemetery", where people have posted photos and inscriptions of headstones around the country. It's a free search, unlike most of their stuff, and you can contribute your own, too. Pretty cool idea; I have contributed 6 or 7 myself. Virtual Cemetery

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Markus

Markus
PostFri Oct 22, 2004 7:02 pm 
It was the late summer of 2003 and my wife (8 months pregnant at the time) and I were wandering around the cemetary in Cashmere. I love old cemetaries and headstones and as I'd come across an interesting name I would say to my wife: "Hey, what do you think about the name _____?". She would wrinkle her nose and shake her head no. This exchange went on and on and I must've suggested 7 or 8 names for our soon to be born son and each one was dismissed. I finally commented: "We're never going to agree on a name, are we?". On hearing this, she strode right over to me and through gritted teeth and a hushed voice said "I am not giving our child a name we find off of a headstone... it's bad luck."

Skinem

Skinem
PostThu Jul 13, 2006 2:48 pm 
I know this is an incredibly old thread, but I just found this site and have been browsing. (I love what I see here!) Figured many of you who said you were interested in cemetaries still are and thought some of you may be interested in the following website. You can actually browse many Washington (and many other states) cemetaries for history, location, and, ahem, inhabitants. Hope it's of some use. http://www.interment.net/Default.htm

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...
salish

salish
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 3:37 pm 
Great link Skinem, thanks. I visited the St. Mary's Mission in the Bitterroot Valley last week. near Stevensville, MT. http://www.saintmarysmission.org/history.html
The mission figures prominently in my roots since my ancestors worked to bring the Blackrobes to Montana. The mission has been restored and is beautiful, with a nice cemetery. None of my ancestors have markers and they're buried in common and/or mass graves in the back of the cemetery. It's kind of unsettling, but our tribe placed a large marker with some of the names of the people buried there. It was nice to see. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm 
Great website, Skin. Beautiful pics and story, Salish. I missed the above post re: the grave of Willie Keil. I stopped and visited that when I went to the Oregon coast a few years ago. Outside of Pe Ell, I think.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 15, 2006 1:06 pm 
cemetary
Along Washington SR105 between Tokeland and North Cove there is a small fenced cemetary, regularly maintained by the local residents. It is not in its original location- it was moved to the present site years ago. It is right along the highway, directly opposite of what's now known as "washaway beach". It's worth a look if you're in the area and have a half hour or so to read some of the inscriptions on the ancient headstones. Right across the highway is the beach. Most times I've stopped there I've watched flocks of brown pelicans above the surf. Worth stopping and looking if you're in that area.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."