Forum Index > Trip Reports > Abercrombie Mountain - 7.14.2006
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 am 
I don’t know how you guys normally spell relief, but today I spelled it a-b-e-r-c-r-o-m-b-i-e. The last time I found myself passing through Chewelah and Colville was on a one day road trip to Kettle Falls about twelve years ago. This time I stayed awake, and was able to truly appreciate the country before me. Being in this remote corner of Washington State is like stepping out of a time machine into an earlier day, when life was much simpler. After heading east out of Colville, on highway 20, then north on Aladdin, passing tranquil Deep Lake, we found our selves taking a right onto Silver Creek Road, and after 10 long miles of rough road we found the trailhead, elevation 4,090 feet. Martha and I departed the trailhead about 10:00am after about a three hour drive form Spokane. Trail #117 starts out a little over grown, but widens after the first couple long switchbacks. With Martha out front, she set a steady pace until an unusual encounter with a fairly large snake that stopped her dead in her tracks. After a couple laughs we were back on the trail gaining elevation toward the summit. After crossing over and under a couple of easy blow downs we reached the junction with the North Fork Silver Creek trail #119 at about 1.4 miles. After taking a left we continued on the summit route through dense forest. As we ascended the timber begin to thin giving way to high mountain meadows and abundant wild flowers. Once again Martha came to a sudden stop standing face to face with a grouse. I remembered hearing that this giant bird could sometimes be aggressive and didn’t waste time drawing the mace. I couldn’t help being a little anxious after being charged by a big horn sheep in the same area a little over a month ago. After a couple pictures we passed the massive mountain bird continuing on our quest for the top. The higher and higher we got the more and more flowers we found. It was truly amazing. The flower display on Abercrombie Mountain was one of the best iv ever seen. The final push to the summit was relentless, and the views from the top amazing. Abercrombie Mountain is eastern Washington’s second highest peak at 7,308 feet, just 12 inches short of Gypsy Peak for number one at 7,309 feet. To the northwest we could see the clear cut U.S./Canadian border, the small towns of Rossland, and Trail, British Columbia, and in the far distance, Valhalla Provincial Park. Immediately to our north was Hooknose Mountain, 7,210 feet. To the east was the Pend Orellie River valley, Salmo-Priest Wilderness, and Selkirk Range. To our south sat Sherlock Peak, Calispell Mountain, and Mount Linton. A look west allowed views deep into the Kettle Range and beyond. Abercrombie is a must see, do yourself a favor and visit it one day. 7 miles round trip with 3,220 feet of elevation gained. There are three ways to the top, and I can’t wait the hike the other two.
Giant mountain grouse.
Giant mountain grouse.
Looking west from Abercrombie toward the Kettle Range.
Looking west from Abercrombie toward the Kettle Range.
Here come the flowers!  Abercrombie summit in the background.
Here come the flowers! Abercrombie summit in the background.
Looking east into Idaho.
Looking east into Idaho.
Flower meadows along Abercrombie.
Flower meadows along Abercrombie.
Wildflower covered slopes of Abercrombie.
Wildflower covered slopes of Abercrombie.
Wildfowers everwhere!
Wildfowers everwhere!
More and more flowers.
More and more flowers.
Approaching the summit.
Approaching the summit.
Trail through flowers just before summit.
Trail through flowers just before summit.
Rock trail to the summit.
Rock trail to the summit.
Looking south with the Pend Oreille River valley in the distance.
Looking south with the Pend Oreille River valley in the distance.
Looking southwest from summit.
Looking southwest from summit.
Summit view form Abercrombie.
Summit view form Abercrombie.
Looking northwest toward the clear-cut U.S./Canadian border.
Looking northwest toward the clear-cut U.S./Canadian border.
Looking northwest along the ridge to Hooknose Mountain.
Looking northwest along the ridge to Hooknose Mountain.
Lingering snow atop 7,308' Abercrombie.
Lingering snow atop 7,308' Abercrombie.
Tanner at tha summit of 7,308' Abercrombie Mountain.
Tanner at tha summit of 7,308' Abercrombie Mountain.
Martha looking north into Canada from the summit of Abercrombie.
Martha looking north into Canada from the summit of Abercrombie.
Source for hike: “100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest” Rich Landers “50 Hikes for Eastern Washington’s Highes Peaks” James P. Johnson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 5:51 am 
Hey, thanks for the trip report and great pics of my favorite peak in NE Washington. I nursed my Honda Accord up that road to the TH and found it was worth the effort. I had done Copper Butte earlier the same day and in 100 degree heat (in Colville) was happy to enjoy the cooler summit of Abercrombie. Here's a NWHiker thread from 2003 of my Abercrombie trip which also shares some of Alan Bauer's experiences there. The flower show up near the summit is indeed a special feature and your pics show that beauty. More info on Abercrombie can be found on my summitpost page which highlights the mountain. Some of your pictures would be a welcome addition to that page. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 6:53 am 
who hoo!.. you made it up that road that seems to last forever. My Denali took quite a beating trying to get there... The wild flowers are in bloom. Nice summit and nice pictures...thanks up.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:09 am 
beautiful! great pics! are there any remains of the fire lookout on the summit?

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:12 am 
great report and pics TJ thanks for posting

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 10:16 am 
up.gif What an amazing flower display. Hefty elevation gain! up.gif I like seeing photos with people in 'em. Nice to see the faces (even if it's martha's back).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostMon Jul 17, 2006 11:01 am 
Thanks you guys, glad you enjoyed the TR and pics. That hike was a real treat, and i wasnt expecting such a great show of flowers, or views that big. Dean- I dont know how you got that Honda up that road! I would be happy to donate any picture you like to your summitpost page. Lookout Bob- Not much left of the old lookout.
Old lookout site a top Abercrombie.
Old lookout site a top Abercrombie.
Quark-Here is a better shot of Martha.
Hey, thats a better shot of Martha.
Hey, thats a better shot of Martha.

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Jul 18, 2006 1:02 am 
Thanks Ron. Yeah, we'll have to get together on the trail someday. I'm loving the canon and its manual settings, lets you control exactly how you want the picture to look.