Forum Index > Photography Talk > Digital Camera
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 10:20 pm 
I am looking for a 1st timers digital camera. Just to take pictures while hiking or on summer outings. Nothing to fancy... Anyone have a suggestions for a good/cheap camera, or anyone selling an older one and getting an UPGRADE?!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
amuplE

amuplE
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 10:47 pm 
You'll probably get as many suggestions as submitters; I just bought our parents a Nikon Coolpix 4300. $500 incl tax at Kenmore Camera, up to $100 less over the internet if you want to take the risk. Unless you do frequent blowups, 4 megapixels should be enough (even 8x10's look good). This thing is small (but pretty thick) and easy to operate. Not too many advanced features. Drawback is limited zoom; Olympus has the best ones for that. But with 4MP you can cut quite a bit out of the picture w/Photoshop and the likes and still frame pretty well. First day out the parents just point-and-shot without reading the manual. My mom does lots of flower closeups - no problem. I got a Nikon 5000 a year ago; same thing, better lens, more options, 5MP, 850$. Great results; happy with it. Was a toss-up between that and the Canon G2. Have Nikon SLR gear so it ended up being a brand preference more than quality/price issue. Lots of good cameras for reasonable prices out there - but any one of them is only as good as the photographer operating it...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 12:00 am 
What price range are you considering?

One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 9:25 pm 
Tom wrote:
What price range are you considering?
I was hoping to spend between 3-500 bucks. If it have to flex more towards the upper end (sounds like I may have to) I will. The problem is I am not real serious about taking pictures, so for me it is hard to spend 1million dollars on a camera. That is why I am reaching out for instructions. Thanks

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Mar 28, 2003 12:04 am 
I'd probably spend closer to the lower end of that price range then. If you watch techbargains.com, there is usually a $35-50 stackable coupon for purchases over $350 from dell home (a new coupon appears every other day). If I were you I might consider a Canon A70. Dell Home sells it for $315 (after automatic 10% off). Throw in a 256 MB Kingston card for $38 (after rebate), apply a $40 dell stackable coupon (see techbargains), and you're looking at $313 shipped.

Jonathan

Jonathan
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 10:27 am 
I got this camera for christmas (Konica KD-500Z 5.0MP) and so far I love it. Takes great shots at 5+MP and weighs under 7 oz. I have taken hundereds of shots with zoom and have only charged the battery two times in 4 mounths, and still using it on the second charge. I was gonna buy a second battery (like I needed for my old digital) but don't think I will need it. I got a cheepo 128 MB card and so far it is all I have needed, but may get a 256 MB card for those LONG hikes. Costco.com has them for $499. PS. 5 MP shots are large (file size) and you will need some hard disk space if you take as many pictures as I do. Jonathan

Smokey

Smokey
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 9:14 pm 
I was in the market for a digital camera too. After reading Tom's post and the review of the Canon A70, I went with the Canon A60. In the review the A60 is mentioned as the same camera with less resolution. The only drawback though is it won't print 8 x 10's as well. I got it for $211 shipped from Dell.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 7:29 am 
I was in the market for a digital camera and would have liked to get the Nikon 5000 (I have to have 28mm or wider capability) but opted to spend my tax return on this instead: http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=36-830A&LARGEVIEW=ON I guess I shall have to continue to rely on my ever faithful but very heavy F3.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 10:00 am 
mega pixel saw
So how many mega pixels does your saw have? It looks kind of heavy to take backpacking, but I bet you can build a heck of an enlargement.

Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 10:27 am 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
So how many mega pixels does your saw have? It looks kind of heavy to take backpacking, but I bet you can build a heck of an enlargement.
Slide Man: Or, maybe he can just make us some nice frames.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 11:01 am 
Yeh, frames. Good idea. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 11:17 am 
Hey will that work for quartersawn white oak blowdowns across the trail? If they have a titanium version I may get one for trail work.

allison-

allison-
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 11:06 am 
Just as a reference point, for an image to be of publication quality at 8 x 10, it's got to be 4 mp.

blindie

blindie
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 2:07 pm 
I've had great 20 x 30s from 4 MP as well.

Blindie