Forum Index > Trail Talk > Traverses
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:32 am 
cascadian wrote:
So, these various traverses you have all taken in the Olympic NP are off trail... is there any hassle with rangers? Do you need a permit? I know in MRNP one is 'supposed' to stay on the trails, etc, and off-trail generally requires a permit. I grew up in the park, so I never paid much attention to that rule, and never received any grief about it.
Cascadian: I always get a permit for the Natl Park and always get the yearly entry pass. I hate to pay the big fees involved with multiple overnight trips though, so I sort of play Robin Hood on that. Every year I volunteer to help out with a trail cleanup for a weekend, but as far as paying the exorbitant fees involved with multi-day trips, I usually throw away the payment envelope and just fill out the white permit. For shorter trips, I go ahead and pay the fees involved. I just can't see paying $30 or whatever for each long trip though, which includes the basic fee, plus the overnight "surcharges"...geeze. I almost never see a Ranger on the traverses, of course. But, as far as staying on the trails, Olympic Natl Park is still okay for any kind of cross country travel you have in mind.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:49 am 
Thanks for the info Larry. There is lots of good info there. I would like to look around in that area between Lacrosse Basin and Lacrosse Pass. I like your philosophy about doing this off trail stuff. Your Grandfather must have been quite a guy. Sounds like he really loved alpine rambling. I think you might be just a little like him.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Larry

Larry
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 2:22 pm 
Here's some more traverses. All nice places, with their own particular details. Dates are approximate. It adds up over the years, doesn't it? Mount Barnes to Press Valley via Mount Wilder and Mount Dana (1968) Elwha Valley to Dosewallips Valley via Mount Norton, Crystal Peak, Mount Anderson, and Thousand Acre Meadows (1963) South Fork Hoh to Mount Carrie via The Valhallas, Hubert Glacier, White Glacier, Ice River, and Bailey Range (1990) Lake of the Gods via Mount Olympus massif, exit to Hoh via The Studebaker (1996) Upper Litchy Creek to Six Ridge Pass (1963, 1964, 1966) Mount Colonel Bob to Wynoochee Pass (1966) Six Ridge Pass to Four Stream via Wonder Lakes and McKay Creek (South to North 1970, North to South 1973) Satsop Lakes to Lake Cushman via Mount Tebo (1960) Lake of the Angels to Flapjack Lakes via Mount Skokomish and Murdock Basin (1968, 1999) Capitol Peak to Mount Church (1965) Finley Peak to Three Lakes (1958, reversed directions 1998) Green Peak to Bogachiel Peak (1966 or 1967, not sure) Snyder Peak to Fairholm, Lake Cushman (1972) Griff Peak to McDonald Mountain (1979) Marmot Pass to Lake Constance via Warrior Peak (1974)

reststep

reststep
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 3:01 pm 
Thanks for posting those Larry.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir