Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > ex-FS Chief: a little clearcut logging good for biodiversity
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 9:28 am 
messing around with Nature, NFs, logging and wildlife, et
Mike: I don't think landscape-level forest planning is messing around with Nature or improving it. I see it as working with Nature, dealing with what you know about Nature from forest and wildlife science. Many landscapes on federal lands aren't natural Nature. They've been altered for years by fire suppression, non-native species, Indian burning, predator control/wildlife imbalances (especially in national parks where hunting is illegal). It's paradoxical that we should manage to correct past activities that were done purely for economic motives in order to make some landscapes "natural" again. Humans have improved upon Nature. Humans have improved plants, fish and animals through artificial selection for crops and livestock. Our high standard of living is a result of improving upon Nature. What are the examples in "History ... littered with the wreckage."?

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 9:39 am 
good books, plantations
Ski: Wow, quite a response from folks! I did not expect this kind of dialogue to erupt when I posted that hyperlink. But, this is good. It is good to see people conversing about National Forests. It shows that atleast some people really care. I wish that attitude were more widespread and genuine in the general, non-hiking public. I've read some of Breaking New Ground by Gifford Pinchot and didn't really care much for it. It's not as relevant as it used to be since there's been so many scientific advances and change in social values since then. I read all of Lien's book but that was like 10 years ago. I did not care much either. It was OK I suppose. The book I think everybody who's interested in this topic must read is "Wildlife, Forests and Forestry: Principles of Managing Forests for Biological Diversity" by Malcolm Hunter. This is the Bible on this subject. A classic, easy-read. It's a textbook for many college courses on this subject. "Maintaining Biodiversity in Forest Ecosystems" is another one of his books. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0521637686/ref=sid_dp_dp/104-2054564-5725532?ie=UTF8 Jerry Franklin wrote of this book "'Malcolm Hunter has provided us with an excellent volume covering the important topical areas of managing forests for biological diversity. ... A 'must read' volume for scientists, students and managers involved with managing forests for biological diversity.'" On the "conifer thickets" comment I made: I know they're tree plantations. I just wrote that because I was trying to use language for normal people and avoid jargon. To this day, when I hear the word "plantation" the image that comes to my mind is a large, white house with columns and tobacco and crops in a field, not Douglas-fir seedlings on a hillside.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:02 am 
yew_betula- I agree totally with you about Pinchot's work. It does, however, provide a starting point for understanding the issues involving management of public lands. My step-father gave it to me after about 10 years of heated arguments; he the career timber cruiser, and me the raving "stop cutting trees" lunatic. That book, and my interaction with people at NFS caused me to have a completely different view regarding public lands management. KCTS (Seattle PBS affiliate) recently aired a program "The Greatest Good" which was very thoughtful and offered a comprehensive look at the issues of NFS lands management. If you didnt' see it, watch for it to be run again at a later date. I will check out Hunter's work. Thanks for the tip. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:10 am 
logging and biodiversity on national forests
To All: Jack Ward Thomas is referring to national forests across the whole country in this op-ed. He's referring to hardwood forests in the Appalachians, pine forests in the South, aspen and jack pine forests in the Upper Midwest, spruce/aspen forests and ponderosa pine forests across the West and maybe little bit to forests in the Pacific Northwest. That's a lot of diversity! Those forests are different from each other and have diffferent issues. (BTW, you can keep in the loop by reading national National Forest news at http://www.fseee.org/ ) For example, quaking aspen is a disturbance dependent species. Fire suppression and overgrazing of its suckers have made aspen far less common than it was historically. Species that use aspen are now less frequent and abundant. The solution to bring back aspen is to clearcut the conifers like Englemann spruce and subalpine fir often overtop aspen, then burn it, then fence it off from cows, deer and elk. Forest preservation activist groups (often referred to as "environmental groups" or even less accurately "conservationists") often appeal timber sales like this on national forests like Dixie in Utah: http://www.helenair.com/articles/2006/07/05/national/a10070506_05.txt. Many National Forests in the Appalachians from Maine to Georgia were purchased as cut-over stump/brush fields and abandoned farms. Many forests there initiated late 1800s to early 1900s. Now, 120 - 80 years later, a vast majority of the Appalachian forests have stands that are all middle-aged. There's very little young forest and very little old-forest on Appalachian national forests. The number of species that use middle-aged forests is lower than the number of species that use young or old forests. Some wildlife needs young forests. The only good forest is not an old forest or a wild forest. Jack Ward Thomas and many other biologists back East advocate creating meadows, shrubby & brushy areas, berry bushes and thick, young, dense forests with small clearcuts. They also advocate commercial thinning in middle-aged stands to speed up succession to old forest structures. If we leave these forests alone, there will be less number of species, less biodiversity. It's important to remember that they only advocate putting maybe 2-3% of the National Forest landbase in the 0-20 age class. It would not even come close to resembling an industrial forest. And it'll be adaptive management. They'd do this a little bit at a time, monitoring wildlife populations (esp. T&E spp.) with surveys. They use GIS and other landscape management software (like http://lms.cfr.washington.edu/lms.html ) to project forest stands out into the future so they can make sure there's enough habitat for all species, not just species who need middle-aged or old forests. Jack Ward Thomas is a wildlife biologist with years of wildlife science research. His name is on a lot of peer-reviewed scientific papers. He's not a "timber beast". When Clinton made him Chief of the USFS a lot of people on the timber side opposed him. He's probably not talking about logging old-growth or roadless areas. I bet he's an advocate of leaving most old-growth forest alone. He probably advocates staying out of roadless areas for wildlife, hydrology, fisheries, soils and recreational concerns. He's also not advocating going back to high logging levels of 1960 - 1989. I highly recommend the short, concise, easy-to-read "Science Updates" put out by the USFS Pacific Northwest Research Station http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/publications/sci-update.shtml . Of these http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/science-update-8.pdf is highly relevant.

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Jul 19, 2006 10:49 am 
Dry Burton TS
Ski: If the Dry Burton timber sale on the GP is in plantation units 50 -60 years old and 15 - 18" dbh, the Gifford Pinchot Task Force probably will not appeal and litigate. They don't mind timber sales like that. However, if the purchaser has to remove that little amount of little stuff by helicopter, no one may bid on it. http://www.gptaskforce.org/ . They used to have a timber sale database with photos and gripes on this webpage. Maybe it's still on there?

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 9:07 pm 
ski wrote:
That last remark is exactly why I referred to Lien's work. After you read it, I PROMISE you that you will NEVER trust anybody employed by Weyerhauser ( or any of the other timber giants ) or any politician involved in public lands management. If you want to meet with somebody in the timber harvesting industry who is as concerned about sustainability and ecosystem health as board feet, contact the closest NFS ranger station and initiate a dialog with them. Listen a lot, talk a little. Get on their mailing list. Get involved in the NEPA process yourself, if only by writing letters. They DO want to hear from the public, otherwise they're working in a vacuum. I've always been amazed by the people I interacted with from NFS, both by their genuine love of the forest and their concern for its long-term care.
I'll have to check out Lein's book to see what you are talking about, but will I ever trust myself again? Will I wake up from a zombie like trance and become a "good" forester? That makes as much sense to me as thinking there are good arborists, and then there are evil aborists. If you talked to any number of foresters, whether they were employed by the FS, a timber giant, or were small land owners themselves, I think you would find them all to be passionate about practicing sustainable foresty. They might have different management goals, but they all have a vested interest in maintaining their livelyhood and passing it on to the next generation. It seems like your definition, or perception, of a healthy and sustainable ecosystem is pretty narrow. Do you apply it only to public land? To all public land? To me it lacks the recognition that man is part of the ecosystem and that to practice forestry sustainably on a piece of land you have to derive some economic benefit from it. Not on every acre, but to a level that at least supports the objectives of the owner whether it be for funding recreation or schools, habitat enhancement or dividends to its investors.

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 10:41 pm 
Sorry, perhaps my statement was painted with too broad a brush. Please check out Lien's work and maybe you'll understand why I have such a dislike for Weyerhauser and some other large companies. I think you perhaps misconstrued my comments, or I wasn't clear enough: I'm all for "sustainable" forestry, and that means harvesting trees. I have no problem at all with clear-cuts, provided they're not done on steep slopes ( ie: Plum Creek along the I-90 corridor ), or at higher altitudes where the recovery time is so long, or along riparian zones. I don't generally voice that opinion ( on clear-cutting ) because I'm usually attacked for it. I also fully understand the need for economic benefits, and seriously regret what's happened to the industry every time I drive through Aberdeen/Hoquiam, or Morton, or Randle, or Raymond/South Bend. My comments regarding management practices applied only to public lands. Weyerhauser, Simpson, Plum Creek and the rest can and will do whatever they want with their own holdings, provided they don't foul up any riparian areas. Perhaps I'd feel differently if those lands hadn't been acquired in the manner they were. ( see Lien's book on that one ) Perhaps I'd feel differently if I hadn't watched over the course of 40 years the destruction of the upper Nisqually, where my family had a cabin that washed away only a few years after dozens of adjoining sections were mowed down ( in some cases less than 50 feet from the river ). And perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd gotten an answer from Weyerhauser's public relations man at a public hearing, who instead of responding to me ducked out the back door and left the building. It's not guys wielding chainsaws or chokers I have a beef with, it's the stuffed-shirts sitting around the board of directors tables that make my hair stand on end.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."