Wild Bagger
PostSat Apr 26, 2003 11:04 pm 
parts of Mathias maybe? McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 8:38 am 
That is a nice picture Dave and a real puzzler. I also want to say that "A" is Constance because of the large chock stone, maybe monolith is a better word, visible on top which is a known Constance landmark and I want to say that "B" is Buckhorn and Iron Mountain. I can't make my guesses match up on the map however. Anyway it is a fun game. Is that an aerial photo?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 7:30 pm 
Pic is from the peak just E of Silver Pass. Here's a wider angle. I went up from Silver Lake after fishing in Lower Silver (Eastern Brook 8"-11"). Printed many of my guesses for peak names, but some don't seem to line up with the map....already spent a couple hours trying to figure it out...wish I'd taken a shot further W. Think Charlia is over ridge from label. Added Larry's Minaret.
View from Silver Pass
View from Silver Pass

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
reststep

reststep
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 3:11 pm 
Thanks Dave for posting the picture with the names on it and telling where you took it from. That helps to figure things out but it is still difficult to match everything to the map. I have not been to Silver Pass for awhile but it looks so good that I am going to have to go back.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 10:18 pm 
I guess I will have to leave notes for Dave since he seems to be following along the path from Silver, to the "Goat" of the Buckhorns, and beyond the Dose "Diamonds. <another grin>. McPil

Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 6:55 am 
McPilchuck wrote:
I guess I will have to leave notes for Dave since he seems to be following along the path from Silver, to the "Goat" of the Buckhorns, and beyond the Dose "Diamonds. <another grin>. McPil
Heck, just let him wander, Ken! As long as he reports new routes, we are all winners! Ken: The "Name This Thing" peak on my earlier post is Overcoat.

MikeCollins

MikeCollins
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 8:42 am 
Larry....Did you climb Overcoat? Craig and I attempted last June and I finally made it to the top in the fall. The route up for me was just off the left of the photo where the heather meets the rocks of the saddle. There is a path just big enough for you and a pack angling up. It shouldn't be done if there is any snow past the glacial snow of the saddle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 8:57 am 
MikeCollins wrote:
Larry....Did you climb Overcoat? Craig and I attempted last June and I finally made it to the top in the fall. The route up for me was just off the left of the photo where the heather meets the rocks of the saddle. There is a path just big enough for you and a pack angling up. It shouldn't be done if there is any snow past the glacial snow of the saddle.
Mike: We did climb Overcoat! We went up the right side, out of sight in the photo. Went up this very beautiful snow gully, which was quite steep, but in wonderful condition at the time. I didn't lead it, thank goodness. I think there was some Class 5 rock at the top area, and it was a little dicey because of some loose snow here and there. But...all was well, and it was a great climb. We rappelled the face you see in the photo, and that was a bit dicey as well. You can see our track in the snow below the face, and that will give you an idea of our rappel route. A spectacular climb in a spectacular area.

MikeCollins

MikeCollins
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 12:09 pm 
I actually summited via the gully you went up and it was quite dicey with icey conditions in the late summer/fall. We decided we had to find another route down and located the easier route mentioned above. There was some Class 4 rock on a slab gully but no Class 5 that I can remember. We did not use rope but had it in the pack.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 12:20 pm 
MikeCollins wrote:
I actually summited via the gully you went up and it was quite dicey with icey conditions in the late summer/fall. We decided we had to find another route down and located the easier route mentioned above. There was some Class 4 rock on a slab gully but no Class 5 that I can remember. We did not use rope but had it in the pack.
Yah, for sure it could have been Class 4 rock...perhaps my "pucker factor" put it somewhere in Class 5 in my mind. We roped the last pitch, not sure if it was necessary, but I wasn't leading out. Fun, fun, fun.

MikeCollins

MikeCollins
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 12:39 pm 
In my writeup for the peak I called the neve a "killer neve". In late season it is flanked by moats with dropoffs of 15 feet. MountainMike and I climbed it front pointing the whole way. There would have been absolutely no way of arresting if either of us fell. He had the lightweight aluminum crampons which couldn't penetrate the ice. He had to chop steps with his axe. The back door approach closeer to Chimney Rock is much more friendlier.

MikeCollins

MikeCollins
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 12:39 pm 
In my writeup for the peak I called the neve a "killer neve". In late season it is flanked by moats with dropoffs of 15 feet. MountainMike and I climbed it front pointing the whole way. There would have been absolutely no way of arresting if either of us fell. He had the lightweight aluminum crampons which couldn't penetrate the ice. He had to chop steps with his axe. The back door approach closeer to Chimney Rock is much more friendlier.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 10:03 pm 
Larry wrote: "Heck, just let him Dave) wander, Ken! As long as he reports new routes, we are all winners!" I was just being sarcastic here, actually I know Dave fairly well, we have dinner together with about a dozen other Trail Blazer Club members once per month prior to the meetings. Dave and I shared a wonderul day together fly fishing for sea-run cutthroats on a float trip I donated to the Winter Social Banquet, that Dave won in the raffle for it. Dave is a good guy, a good hiker, and a good fisherman, too. I find him "enthusiastic" in search of adventure in the sense of being in the wild, even if he treads upon the same "sacred" ground I have <grin>. And he knows what I mean...<another grin>. McPil