Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Coastal drilling bill
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Jul 02, 2006 11:18 am 
So how long do we buy energy independence by extracting a non-renewable resource? Are there enough provable domestic oil reserves to make us energy independent?

Let me stand next to your fire
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mgd

mgd
PostSun Jul 02, 2006 11:56 am 
I am more concerned about what drilling will do to the tetonic plates. Right now the plates are lubricated by a liberal amount of fairly viscous crude oil, and the plates slide easily back and forth (i.e. like a well-oiled machine). Remove this oil and the plates will start to grind and create heat due to friction. Now volcanos all around the ring of fire will begin firing off. Now heat from the friction will raise the surface temperature of the earth, rapidly accelerating the melting of the polar ice caps. This will take years to happen so no one will notice, but by the time we do, it will be too late. eek.gif Your car runs better at the expense of the earth grinding to a halt? It is a zero sum game. Stop the drilling now!!!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 02, 2006 10:56 pm 
Stones wrote:
So how long do we buy energy independence by extracting a non-renewable resource? Are there enough provable domestic oil reserves to make us energy independent?
who knows. that's what markets are for. we live on many, many non renewable resources. being consistent means we need to be tungsten independent, gold independent, germanium independent...

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostMon Jul 03, 2006 8:19 pm 
Quote:
who knows
confused.gif You advocate drilling to make us energy independent then you can't answer basic questions regarding the feasibility of drilling our way to energy independence. In all fairness, I can't accurately answer those questions either. But they seem rather important. I'm guessing that we can never become energy independent from domestic sources because there aren't enough reserves and the rate of consumption is too high. Are we going to rely on the free market to make us energy independent? Who are the stakeholders in that game? Here's another quiz: Which of the following can be recycled? A. tungsten B. gold C. germanium D. petroleum products (i.e. fuel) E. none of the above

Let me stand next to your fire
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 2:28 am 
Quote:
You advocate drilling to make us energy independent then you can't answer basic questions regarding the feasibility of drilling our way to energy independence.
sure I do. it's just not in a form you want. you seem to expect some plan, some timeline, some manner of predicting what and when. that's not how markets work. the answer, and the plan, in an open and unconstrained way, is to create conditions such that demand, supply, and price all change relative to each other in a dynamic manner, not to attempt to control via top down direction what solutions are cost effective or even what they will be. we may not be able to drill our way to indepedence, but we can produce more domestic supply, lower the price over what it would be given fewer supplies, and set up a structure whereby when prices do rise for whatever reason, the market will respond by then finding cost effective alternatives. realistically, there is no date when oil will just run out. at some point, even with reserves remaining, prices will begin to climb and drive alternatives in a dynamic, innately cost effective manner.
Quote:
Are we going to rely on the free market to make us energy independent? Who are the stakeholders in that game?
It depends on what you mean by stakeholders and how you structure it. This is a term with implications I am not fully settled on.
Quote:
Here's another quiz: Which of the following can be recycled? A. tungsten B. gold C. germanium D. petroleum products (i.e. fuel) E. none of the above
certainly not none of the above, that is for certain. but the fact remains that no industrial process is lossless, and even perfect recycling cannot accomodate future growth, you have to feed new material into the system continually to account for growth. no matter how slowly you inject new resources into the economy and infrastructure, it is still at a finite rate, and when taken from a finite resource, is not sustainable in any sense. yes, conservation and recycling can help, but use is still use and finite reserves will still be mined.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
scm007

scm007
PostSun Jul 23, 2006 6:11 pm 
I really get ticked off when people say drilling like this (especially in the ANWR) will give us 'energy independence'. Independent from the Middle East is what I'm assuming this means. How will that work? The oil market is a free market. If you drill oil out of America, it doesn't increase Americas supply of oil, it increases the world's supply of oil. This will make the price go down some, but then people will just purchase more... so the Middle East gets approx. the same amount of money, perhaps a little more, perhaps a little less. And they have reserves enough to supply for a LONG time. For me, I'd rather pay the 2c per gallon extra and keep these areas conserved; we're going to need an alternative way of producing large amounts of energy at a low cost within the next 50 years anyway. We shouldn't look at the short-term gains to be had from drilling when our future source of energy will almost certainly be in something other than petroleum. By drilling we're just delaying the inevitable, that oil prices will climb sufficiently high to make alternative energy sources cost efficient, and to make alternative energy research a good investment. I'd rather see this conclusion come sooner than later, and save some wildnerness areas in the process. IMO We need another Manhattan Project to develop a cheap way of harnessing solar energy. Perhaps some sort of biochemical method. Instead of reasoning 'gas prices are high -- we need more gas', why not reason 'gas prices are high -- we need something to supplement gas'? Just imagine how far forward we might be right now had all this money spent bickering on both sides just been spent towards developing a sustainable alternative?