Forum Index > Trail Talk > Info: Mt Persis - Help please on route info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:49 am 
Does anyone know the total mileage for the winter route? That woman from the PI (K. Sykes) says it is 13 miles RT from the gate on Road #62, but how far up road #62 is the gate? Someone else told me it is 6 miles to the trailhead from the road, but how far to the summit from there? Anyone got a Beckey guide?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve F

Steve F
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 8:34 am 
Depends on the snow level. Look on topozone.com for the road map up road 62 (I think) and look at winter scrambles for the summit portion.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Beave

Beave
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:28 am 
cool.gif With all the new snow, now doubt the route will be loooong..... No problem though; I've been wanting to bag this peak for some time (recon for Index), so I'll break trail if you wanna go!!!! lol.gif Email me.... Craig

Beave

Beave
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:44 am 
Oh yeah, Beckey gives no specifics pertaining to winter closures and distances.... confused.gif Even so, I don't predict any major challenges.... Just a long road walk for the most part!! yawn.gif Craig

PostThu Jan 31, 2002 12:27 pm 
Don't know about the gate, but when we went up one March we drove to a large mud puddle and parked. Walked a couple (?) road miles from there and then got bloodied up ascending a clear cut for about 1500' vertical. waah.gif We must have been off route, but it got us there. Hopefully someone will let you know if there is a better route than the clearcut. Huge cornices on upper ridge and summit area. View of Index was outstanding.

Steve F

Steve F
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:12 pm 
The website posted earlier in this thread has a map of the trail route. It's a nice brush-free, but steep route. Great route for snowshoeing! I've seen people drive through the mud puddle but I ain't gonna in my car. Walk up the roads shown on the map, then look for the trail (maybe a hundred or two hundred feet from the end of the road??). A year or two ago, the loggers were persuaded by a frequent Persis climber to cut the downfall caused by logging, so the trail is in great shape.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:31 pm 
Sounds like the route we took. Started out a bit from road end like it was a trail and then became lost in the debris. I was with a bear of a guy that just sauntered his way up while I hit every snag on the way. Sounds like it might be worh a revist. Loved the upper mountain.