Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hidden Lake Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 7:34 pm 
The road is drivable for 3.7 miles and at .6 miles there is a height restriction due to a downed tree hanging over the road. My Pathfinder barely made it under and I could hear the branches rubbing on the roof. This trip let me know just how out of shape I have become over the last several months, by the time I reached the 6500 ft pass I was pretty much done. I had planned on going to the lookout but would have required loosing several hundred feet to get under and around some cornices, also the sun was starting to heat things up and little avalanches were starting. I decided I was too tired to make it and settled for going up the higher Hidden Lake Peaks. The snow sucked below 5000 ft but the views were great, the sun was out and I really got to use my new digital camera for the first time. ( by the way it`s a Canon G3 and I love it ) Some of the slopes at the pass were starting to get icy but snowshoes were definitely needed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 8:54 pm 
Don, from the picture I just posted on my trip report, where do you end up going? I went a ways up the side of the avalanche gully but then turned around.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostThu May 01, 2003 8:39 pm 
Hidden lake peak route
Polarbear, From the looks of your picture I would say it looks like you are on the right side of the creek just after breaking out of the woods. If this is correct, continue up the right side (DO NOT CROSS OVER ) and farther up you will cut off up the hillside to your right. Look for the gentlist part that has small scattered trees. Once on top you will head in a SE direction traversing under Hidden Lake Peaks ridge gradually gaining elevation. The summit with the lookout will not be visable for some time. If your destination is the highest point, you can pretty much head straight up to the summit. If you want to go to the lookout, keep traversing until reaching the pass and from there you will have to lose several hundred feet to get around cornices before heading up the SE slope ( beware of crumbling cornices). Basically if you don`t cross the creek you will be OK, and I am sure you will know when to go up. Have fun.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri May 02, 2003 12:56 am 
Thanks for the information.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster