Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 9:36 pm 
hey I'm new here and I love backpacking in the olympic mts. I've hiked in these mts. since I was a child and I would love to find others to hike with for I come from a very small town called Pacific Beach and there are'nt many here that enjoy the mountains as I do. I just recently tried to make it to Low Divide but fell in the river crossing and had to stay and dry out bawl.gif Anyway if your willing lets do some hikes. WrongBridge smile.gif

Too much of a good thing is wonderful (May West)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostSat Apr 19, 2003 9:01 pm 
Welcome to NWHikers WB. Were you heading to Low Divide on the N Fork Quinault? How far up did you get before the river-crossing mishap? Any snow? Sounds like you've got a great job. You like to hike weekends or can you get out mid-week? How much does that Pontoon boat weigh? Enough questions for one post....always neat to find another excited about the Olympics....

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat Apr 19, 2003 11:58 pm 
WrongBridge, does your name have any kind of story behind it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSun Apr 20, 2003 4:26 pm 
HI
Dave, thanks for the welcome! Yes I was on the north fork quinault and I made it to the last river crossing before you climb the last hill before low divide. I hit snow before that though and it has snowed since then so I don't know how far one would make it now. Sure wish there was a bridge at that river crossing. I remember when I was a kid and there was a log across it but I guess the river always takes what it wants. Mostly I get out on weekends right now but in a month I will be layed off for the summer so I can take off whenever I want basically. During the summer months I run a landscaping business so it gives me a lot of time to hike. The pontoon boat weighs about 45 lbs dry but wet it's a bit heavier. They are pretty durable and we use them at least three times a week floating the queets, clearwater and quinault rivers. We also survey all the tributaries of these rivers but they are usually to low to float so we walk these. The backpack that comes with the boats sucks big time so if I was to buy one I would buy a cheap external to carry the stuff in. Gotta go for now the fam is yelling for me to play catchphrase frown.gif WrongBridge

WrongBridge

WrongBridge
PostSun Apr 20, 2003 4:36 pm 
Polarbear, I got my name from my Indian friends that I work with. I'm a Salmon Surveyor and we spend a lot of time getting professionally lost I like to say. Well to make a long story short I'm known to get lost mostly starting my survey on the "wrong bridge". One day after the third time getting lost from the later and Indian friend called everyone on the radio pronouncing we found him WrongBridge is safe. Since then everyone calls me wrongbridge I guess one could say my Indian name. biggrin.gif WrongBridge

Dave Weyrick

Dave Weyrick
PostSun Apr 20, 2003 10:14 pm 
WB, Lemeno if you'd like to plan a trip, either day or overnight, when you are able to get out weekdays. I consistently have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off from my job in Poulsbo, where I live, and would love to explore the Queets and Quinault (been 25 years since I was up the Quinault and I've yet to make it up the Queets).

If I'd known ya was gonna use bait I wouldn't a brought ya!
Larry

Larry
PostMon Apr 21, 2003 7:45 am 
Wrong Bridge: I grew up in the area. Graduated from Montesano High School, but attended schools in Aberdeen and Amanda Park. Do you ever get up Finley Creek? I've always loved that creek, although it has certainly been devastated by the 100-year floods. As usual, it is bouncing back, and still retains nice habitat. Also, Howe Creek is a great late summer hike for me...right up the creek in its beautiful canyon, to the falls. Here's an attachment description of the nice little canyons of Finley and Howe. They are in older Word format, so don't mind the loss of formatting, the text should still be okay. 📎Howecrk5.doc (17 KB) 📎Finley11.doc (26 KB)

blindie

blindie
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 12:38 am 
It's about 3 hours for me to get to those parts so I'd have to get an early start. I'd love to do some hiking in the Olympics. Let's set a time and do it.

Blindie
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun May 04, 2003 11:25 am 
I'll be living in Port Angeles starting in June (for the summer) and I'm always looking for new hiking buddies. Where would you like to hike in the Oly's?