Forum Index > Trail Talk > TV Show - Exploration Northwest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 6:21 pm 
I've got a tape that includes the ENW Trail Blazer trip the the Necklace Valley, the episode stocking the lakes in the Olympics via chopper, and a couple other old Trail Blazer related movies. One is a film of the TBs building the shelter at Nordrum Lake (now gone) in the late forties. The second is a stocking trip to Chetwoot Lake in, I think, 1953 or thereabouts. One I'd like to get a hold of is the old Disney film about the Roosevelt elk in the Olympics that was shot by Herb Crisler.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 6:38 pm 
Don't let 'em hear you talking about not mentioning lake names 'round here, Oldtimer, or you'll be accused of hogging the lakes, keeping secrets, and other sundry charges from folks who don't think it makes a darned bit of difference. Those of us who know it does because we've seen it, well, it's just as much of a problem as it was in the past, in fact worse because instead of legwork to libraries, books, maps, and lots of work, you just need a computer to find tips on where to swarm next! eek.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 6:59 pm 
And don't mention the name of the lake either, or you'll be accused of causing its degredation and will be solely responsible for the damage done by anyone who ever goes there again. rolleyes.gif

reststep

reststep
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 7:23 pm 
Brian, I would love to get ahold of a copy of that elk movie that Crisler made also. I checked on it a couple of years ago and at that time I got a reply back from Disney Studios I think it was and they said that it was not on tape. If you find out something please post it here. When I was a kid we went to one of Herb and Lois Crisler's presentations in Bremerton. I was fairly young at the time and really don't remember much about it. I did visit the Castle in the Cat in Cat Creek Basin about 12 years ago. I understand that it was done in by the heavy snow of the 98/99 winter. The Castle in the Cat was the name given to a shelter that Herb Crisler built in Cat Creek Basin in Olympic National Park.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 8:16 pm 
If you want to read about Herb, check out some books by Ms. Holt, she wrote an olympic story about his life (it is somewhat of a love story between her and him) also the film (16mm) can be check out from the library (Seattle I think) at least I think that is where Glen Lee rented it to show at the TB'ers Club back about 1988. I have read extensively about Herb and have visited many of his haunts along the Bailey Range...he was quite the guy...and quite a photographer.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 10:19 pm 
The book "Beyond the Trails With Herb and Lois Crisler In Olympic National Park" by Francis E. Caldwell is an excellent biography of the Crisler's years in Washington. It is a great read.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostWed Jan 09, 2002 11:53 am 
Called and talked to Mrs McCune today there is a new and better web site with more videos and stuff. She dosen't know how to get rid of the old site and can't shut it down but I will put the new link below. Clink on Catalog at the bottom. http://www.donmccunelibrary.com/

jwohlhueter

jwohlhueter
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 12:13 am 
The Olympic Elk - Disney Film
I have a VHS copy. I can make you a copy if you don't mind paying for the tape and postage. I became interested in Herb and Lois after a hike to Humes Ranch several years ago. I have collected several if Herb's films and most of the books written by and about them. I have also met and spoken with Ruby Hult who is alive and well in Puyallup, last I heard.

From infinity, just passing through.
mpaul_hansen

mpaul_hansen
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 12:23 am 
SPL library VHS tapes - Exploration NW w/ Don McCune
A fair number of Exploration NW tapes can be checked out from the Seattle Public Library. Go to the Catalog, once you log on their website: http://www.spl.org PS SPl has just re-worked their computer system and there still are some bugs and problems. The word is to be patient...these will be fixed.

salish

salish
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 2:57 pm 
Last I heard, Mrs. McCune was successful at getting some, or maybe all, of the old videos put on to DVDs. I've got about six or seven Exploration Northwest videos, which cover all of their hiking, and most of their fishing videos. They're really a lot of fun to watch.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 4:10 pm 
Hey, great old thread. When we all going to pile into Tommy's house and watch them there viddyoes?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jwohlhueter

jwohlhueter
PostWed Aug 02, 2006 9:46 pm 
Crisler Shelters
Would you know the GPS location of the Castle in the Cat shelter. If not, could you give me directions from Hotcake shelter or Cat Lake. I would like to go see them. Thanks.

From infinity, just passing through.
l

l
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 4:07 pm 
jwohlhueter wrote:
Would you know the GPS location of the Castle in the Cat shelter. If not, could you give me directions from Hotcake shelter or Cat Lake. I would like to go see them. Thanks.
I've posted 2 pictures showing the approximate location of each shelter. The Windy Hollow (Hotcake) photo was taken from near Spread Eagle Pass. It's about a 700' drop to the meadow and then fifty feet into the trees to find the lean-to. I saw from your website that you're aware of its condition.
hotcake
hotcake
This photo was taken along the Cat Creek Way Trail, between Cat Lake and the High Divide. There is a path (off the High Divide Trail) that leads down into the lower basin. Walk past the last tarn a short ways to find the completely demolished cabin.
castle-in-the-cat
castle-in-the-cat
If you were curious where to find more of Herb's films, the Park's headquarters in Port Angeles has plenty. The person to contact in the archives division is Gay Hunter. If you need clarification on the location of the shelters or route info, just let me know.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 pm 
Yay for random old threads. party.gif

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 07, 2006 6:25 pm 
Some years ago, one of the KOMO gang told me that Don had to stop doing stories / programs that featured hunting after they did one on a sheep hunt up in Alaska or British Columbia, IIRC. The station was flooded with complaints by people who oppose hunting. That stunned me. Here we are with an award-winning program that devoted the overwhelming majority of its episodes to non-consumptive activities, but let Exploration Northwest "throw a bone" to the hunters with one or two half-hour segments devoted to their activity, and holy smokaroni, it's jihad. Don was an outstanding guy, and my uncle's Jeep club was once featured in a program about going over the old Naches Pass, which was nothing but an old wagon road north of Chinook Pass. I can't quite recall the title of the old Ed Sierer program, but what I do remember is that he used the theme music from BIG COUNTRY. I'm going to have to do some research on that one. It was only on a couple of years. Far as I'm concerned, Grant Goodeve's 'Northwest Backroads' is okay, but something of a shadow of Exploration Northwest.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence