Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostThu Jul 20, 2006 9:06 am 
Ted wrote:
Hey Slugman, No harm, no foul. I usually get the hiking bug in the winter time, so a lot of the trails I'd like to hike are hard to get to. I'm also out of shape and have kids, so we usually do the shorter ones. AND most of my friends have never backpacked, so I'm working on hooking them. Just took my daughter and girlfriend on their first short backpack, and helped my buddy pick out gear for backpacking.
Ted, im fat..out of shape and have kids too.. I just leave them at home.. they are more of a nuisance than dogs ever will be and are usually the reason I need to escape in the first place..man, all those kids that I have to hear on the trails and they are unleashed..its just ludicris wink.gif There are alot of great people right on this board to hook up a good dayhike/backpack trip with. If anyone accosts me while I am smoking on the trail.. I will just pass them the peace pipe dizzy.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostSun Aug 06, 2006 10:27 am 
Count me in as the one who detest trash in the wilderness. I must share this story with those who are bored and wanted be be disgusted. A few years ago it was late in the evening and I was going to hike Dickerman the next morning. I pulled over in the highway to an area I could pitch a tent and sleep for the night. I was surprised no one was there because it was a nice weekend. (Hint I didn't get at first) I noticed some trash and was disturbed by it. I set up the tent anyway, my lawn chair, and watched the Stillaguamish disappear with the remaining sunset. I went in my tent and read a book, fell asleep. The next morning right before the sun came up, I went for a light "stroll" in the area with my flashlight. To my horror, there were mounds of used toilet paper sticking to my hiking boots! I was suddenly taken back and shrieked! eek.gif I looked around and it was EVERYWHERE! As the sun came up, I realized my tent was on it too! I could not believe it! I swear I could have filled up 2-3 garbage bags! I did not know what to do because I usually pick up peoples trash I find and take it to the nearest trash facility. I was dry heaving! I rolled up my tent on the highway and let it "dry" out in the sun. Gosh I was disgusted! Anyway, I made it to the Dickerman trail head and did my hike, shaking it from my crawl. Later I drove back by that place and saw another camper was using the spot. I felt really bad for them wondering if they too would be handpicking used toilet paper from the bottom of their boots and tent. YUCK! down.gif

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel

Tim and Angel
Angel now an Angel
PostSun Aug 06, 2006 11:16 am 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
I don't condone that type of behavior. It's just systemic to society in general. Responisbility for nothing....accountability for nothing. Blame it on everyone else.
Yeah, well, I am no bleeding heart. I concur with your logic. I like to think of the wilderness as our backyard, much like our own. If someone "trashes" it, someone has to take care of it. Usually the long gone perpetrators will not. I like to do my small part of nature appreciation by anonymously volunteering "clean up" on occasion. As far as I am concerned, there should be a thousand dollar fine AND community service if caught littering. They should bring back that great commercial PSA where the Native American tears up as he witnesses a car going down the highway littering. (aired in the 70's) That made an impression on me as a kid. Maybe this is the manifestation of such. Cheerio then. up.gif