Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tragedy on Formidable
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 9:48 pm 
It is with a very heavy heart that I inform those of you who knew Ed of a tragic accident that took his life yesterday morning while on the Ptarmigan Traverse. Words cannot express how I feel as I write this, as I know many of you will feel reading this terrible news. Ed, his friend Gerard, and myself were approaching the south ridge of Mt. Formidable when a large boulder came loose and caused Ed to lose his balance and fall. I was a few feet away from Ed when the accident occurred and cannot say with certainty what caused the boulder to come loose, but I believe he may have tried to use it as a hand hold. I do not know what else to say, other than if Ed had not fallen, it is possible one of us that followed might have met a similar fate, and I may well owe him my life. If I have any solace, it is knowing that Ed took every opportunity he had to live his life and passion to the fullest. I feel fortunate to have shared so many incredible trips with such a great guy, and to have lived the rest of his adventures vicariously through his many inspiring pictures and trip reports. I feel I should say more about Ed and what a truly wonderful, caring, down to earth, and humble individual he was, but I am at a loss for words right now. Please keep his family and loved ones in your thoughts and prayers, as well as the two of us who were with him yesterday. Ed, I will miss you dearly, and will never forget the times and wonderful memories we shared in the mountains. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 9:54 pm 
Tom, I am very sorry.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 9:56 pm 
Tom, I'm so sorry about your experience. I was looking forward to hearing from Ed about this trip and was thinking about it this morning. He said that even if he doesn't get to the top of mountains, or if he couldn't complete this trip due to difficulty, as long as he's out, he's happy. He used the word "happy" in just about every message he ever sent me.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
scm007

scm007
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:04 pm 
That must have been awful. RIP.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 pm 
I am so sorry. I just don't have any other words right now.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:13 pm 
Words do little at this time. My heart goes out to his family and to you Tom. He was lucky to have you with him. We all need friends at our side.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:15 pm 
That's awful beyond imagination.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 pm 
My condolences. I'm so sorry.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:18 pm 
Very sorry to hear While I never met him, I'll always remember him for all the beautiful images and great adventures he left us with. Tom, my condolences to you, all his friends and his family.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:22 pm 
bawl.gif I think this site loved Ed as much as Ed loved the site. He had a true talent for taking beautiful, moody, atmospheric photos and just kept getting better and better each time he went out and I know that I'm not the only one that will miss seeing his photos in the trip reports section. I feel privileged to have been able to hike with him and it was a true joy to see him really get into the outdoors... He was absolutely fearless and ready to take on the world...rock climbing, ice climbing, glaciers and crevasses...the guy was always ready for another challenge. I think what I'll miss most was his quiet, humble, and sometimes shy way about things. He was the most genuine man I've ever known. He was kind, honest, generous, and ready to help no matter what the situation. And his energy...man, with his strength / stamina and can-do personality, he was absolutely unstoppable. I'm really going to miss him.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Meander
J Prettymountain

Meander
J Prettymountain
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:30 pm 
I am so sorry ~ this is terrible news. My condolences to you and all that knew him.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:36 pm 
Thanks for the post, Tom. I know it must be a tough time and I hope you're doing well. One of Ed's friends (Derek) got a hold of me today and ever since I've been in shock and incredibly sad. Ed was a great person, probably the most humble and patient person I've ever met. He also had an immense love for the mountains and just getting out there and living which is one reason I always looked forward to getting out with him. I remember on several occaisions him telling me during the morning drive to the trailhead that he did't sleep a wink because he was so excited for the trip. I always thought that was pretty cool. On our last trip together up Jumbo Mountain I severely sprained my ankle early in the descent. I will always hold a special bond towards Ed for helping to get me down in one piece. If it wasn't for his patience and help I probably would have had to have been carted off the mountain, or I would have injured myself even more trying to do everything on my own. I wanted to hurry off the mountain and get down, but Ed made sure we walked the easiest line and constantly made sure I wasn't doing anything that would cause me greater injury. I will always have the utmost respect for him as a climbing parter, but most of all because of the great human being that he was. Perhaps in a few days I'll write more, but like Tom, I'm really at a loss for words right now. Climb on Ed up.gif
On Top of Crater Mountain
On Top of Crater Mountain
Scrambling Crater Mountain
Scrambling Crater Mountain

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 10:56 pm 
I'm in shock. EDD's the reason I'm on NWHikers in the first place (see his Gunn Peak adventure with Oren last year). I had the pleasure to climb Whitehorse earlier this year with him (and several others), and always figured there'd be more shared adventures in the future. He will be missed. My best to anyone who knew him.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
JimK

JimK
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 11:13 pm 
What horrible news. I am so sorry. My condolences to his family.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue Aug 08, 2006 11:14 pm 
Randy those are beautiful photos..ty. I offer my deepest condolences to all of Edd's many friends and family. As I didnt know him personally and never got to hike with him..I do know he was very repsected by his friends that had the priveledge of sharing time with this man. He leaves us with many incredible photos to remember him by. Tom, I cant even begin to know how you may be feeling right now..but bless you for being the good person you are and being there to help with whatever needed to be done. Edd, may you rest in peace angel.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley