Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > country music
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
larch

larch
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 3:36 am 
Does anybody have a favorite country music station - or know of one that is near enough to get on the radio? I can get KPLX from Dallas on the internet and I love that music, but I can't seem to find anything like it on the radio here.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 9:57 am 
Oh just go away! tongue.gif (icky icky country music)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 11:40 am 
The country music stations here in town are unlistenable to these ears. But I can't last 10 minutes on ANY local commercial music station. There are the odd show that will play good country music. Thursday nights KEXP (FM90.3) plays a great blend of country and rockabilly. Sometimes you'll hear some good country on American Roots on the weekends on NPR.But beyond that?? Catwoman, way back in the disco era of the early eighties KISW had a big "disco sucks" promotion going. People went around with Disco Sucks bumper stickers on their cars. Well, for the most part disco disco did suck, but what sucked a lot more was the whole attitude that any type of music was bad just because someone lumped it into a certain genre. My bumper sticker said "KISW sucks." If you listen you'll find a lot of fantastic music out there that will blow your socks off. I guarantee, some of it is country.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 12:03 pm 
Brian, lighten up. I was just having fun. Didn't you see the little smiley face with the tongue sticking out?! tongue.gif

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 12:59 pm 
Of course I new you were joking. I didn't think you really wanted larch to go away and I knew you were teasing. But I'm still inclined to think that my supposition is correct that you consider country music to be icky.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:54 pm 
Actually all the radio stations around here suck. I had to move away from Seattle for a few years to the east coast to realize this. Heck, there were better stations in Richmond, VA.

C Dog

C Dog
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 9:57 pm 
I'm from Dallas, am I allowed to say country music sucks? wink.gif "What kind of music do you usually have here?" "Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western!" biggrin.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 10:54 pm 
Some disco was bad, some was good. I bought the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack a couple years ago because I liked the music when it came out when I was in grade school. That doesn't mean you will see me hiking in polyester though, or in cotton for that matter. I am tempted to start listing alot of the songs form that era that I like...don't tempt me further. Some of the songs even were kind of hiking related...like a Night on Disco Mountain. From the mid 80's to early 90's, I think country really ruled. The best pop melodies and some of the cleverest lyrics were from country songs. Keith Whitley, George Strait, the Judds and a large host of others...songs like The Race Is On (Sawyer Brown's version) or the Judd's Drops of Water or Girl's Night Out, or Randy Travis' Honky Tonk Moon, or Is It Still Over (are we still through, since my phone still ain't ringin', I assume it still ain't you). Great tunesmithing. Fun music and a nice offset to some of the more somber stuff emanating from certain garages wink.gif If anyone wants a copy of my homemade best of country music tape, send me an email.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 10:55 pm 
Growing up in Texas as well, I've had enough country music to last a lifetime. Nothing against it, I just don't care for it and have been exposed to far more than I would have preferred. smile.gif I agree, the radio stations here are lame, for all genres. You'd think Seattle, home of grunge rock, would have some decent rock stations at least. Dallas had better, to be honest, but even they weren't great. I still mourn the demise of ZRock. frown.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 10:55 pm 
Larch, the only country station I know of is 94.1 KMPS FM.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 10:55 am 
KEXP plays a lot of country and it's best show it's on Wednesday nights, called Swinging Doors. 91.3 KBCS plays bluegrass most of Sunday afternoon, with some country often mixed in. Another really fun show is on 90.7 out of Everett on Sat noon -4 called Music With Moscowitz. Basically it's like Dr Demento does country, with great novelty songs and also a smattering of older country, he has a collection of 78's and even wax cylinder recordings.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 10:31 pm 
There has never been a replacement for Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys redface.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 1:36 pm 
I'll second that!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Quark

Quark
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 11:24 pm 
I second KEXP's 'Swingin' Doors' show, it's 'Shake the Shack' and Roots n Branches, which plays lots of soul and some old country (or is that KCBS' show?). Logon to the KEXP website to get the full schedule of tunage. I heard Hank Williams III on KEXP one morning this week. Hank 3 sounds exactly like his grandpa. It was eerie as hell, but I was excited to hear it. I bought the CD, "Lovesick, Broke & Driftin' " today, and am glad I did.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 6:01 pm 
I use to like country music, still like bluegrass, but a lot of the country western music I hear once in a while is the crying music type...she left me for another crying in my beer stuff. Can't stand it sorry to say. I still like Willie Nelson stuff though.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com