Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline Divide (Mt Baker Area) 08-12-06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 10:37 pm 
Cheers! This is a pretty well known and popular trail, so I'll keep the report short and to the point. The 12 mile gravel road is in decent shape for passenger cars but please use caution on corners (particularly if you drive a new red VW mad.gif ) because the road is narrow and the corners can be blind. The parking lot was almost at capacity when we arrived at about 11:30am. In this instance, 'at capacity' means about 25 cars. Like I said... busy trail. Guidebook narratives that I read about this trail understated the rate of elevation gain, in my opinion... but the trail through the trees is relatively short and once you reach the meadows you've already forgotten the elevation nuisance. Flowers were in abundance. up.gif For our trip, it was mostly sunny, but Mt Baker remained hidden from view. Mt Shuksan poked out a few times for a couple photos. We ventured up the nearby points, helped a couple of polite gals learn how to use their new Nikon DSLR and then explored for a ways out one of the ridges. On the return trip we watched a different couple attempt to climb down the 'back way' from one of the knobs. We informed them there was a much safer route to descend from that location, but they continued onward eek.gif With visions of recent tragedies, this couple did make it back to the trail without too much additional drama.
Upon our return to the parking lot, the camera girls were just pulling away. They stopped and threw us a heartfelt THANKS before driving off into the sunset. We believe they were going to invite us to join them for dinner but they simply must have been in a hurry. lol.gif

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 pm 
hehehe :-) missed dinner by a single snapshot! thanks for adding in the report, even on a 'well known' trail. it helps the new folk like myself. :-)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message