Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fishing question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSat May 03, 2003 12:15 pm 
Good suggestions, Dave. Another couple of resources are "Fly Fishing the High Country", by John Gierach (an early, non-humorous book by him) and some of the John Shewey books, such as "Northwest Fly Fishing and Beyond". Shewey's books are an incredible help if you are unfamilar with a certain species and method, and he does have a chapter on alpine lakes. I've never caught a Golden, but this summer will be different smile.gif Cliff
Dave Weyrick wrote:
Some pretty funny posts here, you'all are crackin' me up! Have yet to land a golden, but had the good fortune to yank one around once in the ALW. My boss read about some experiments with trout and the pain they experienced when hooked and yanked around.....he thought he might quit fishin'....sounds like more fish for me! You may want to check out Fly Fishing the Mountain Lakes, Gary LaFontaine 1998, Greycliff. Written about his flyfishing experiences in the Rockies, it has lots of info about fish behavior and fishing strategies that could apply to spincasting.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
3 little fishies

3 little fishies
PostSat May 03, 2003 12:55 pm 
If someone catches us, we feel terrible. But when they release us we feel like we have a new line on life--much better than before we were caught. Rather than being hooked on a feeling, now we are hooked on life and all of its alure. We worry more about sharks and whales than people. At least when they catch us they prepare us in cornmeal, butter, shallots and herbs and grill us right and savor us to the last bite. Whales just bolt us down mad.gif down.gif -the 3 little fishies (and the momma fishy too) hmmm.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostSun May 11, 2003 8:33 am 
Try Kastmasters for goldens!! I caught this fish last year on a 1/4 ounce silver/blue Kastmaster. Fish was down deep when it bit. I put this on another forum yesterday, but I thought you might like to see it too. smile.gif
goldyrecord
goldyrecord

salish

salish
PostSun May 11, 2003 10:03 am 
Beautiful Golden, Sooperfly. The blue & chrome Kastmaster is my favorite lure, and I use it in 1/12th, 1/8th, and 1/4 oz sizes. I normally fly fish but on mountain lakes it's difficult to reach some water unless you have a raft, and I'll often go to a spinning reel and lures. I've used Kastmasters with great success. Thanks again for the photo.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:18 am 
Wow-so that's what one them looks like-beautiful fish--how big was it?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon May 12, 2003 9:46 am 
Thanks! It was officially measured at 21.25 inches and 3.91 lbs.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon May 12, 2003 11:04 am 
Cool-off the top of my head that sounds right around the MT state record-I think it came out of a place called Lightning Lake in the Lake Plateau area of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness-I've never been there but it's on my list of places to get to. There's another lake, Sylvan Lake, that is much more accessible. I've heard of a place near my neck of the woods that supposedly has them and if it does, it's pretty darn remote so I'm hopeful of something like your fish. Goldens have kind of picqued my interest lately-I won't ask where you caught him (but if you PM me, I promise not to tell) Thanks for posting that picture.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon May 12, 2003 6:59 pm 
I've been to Lightening Lake. At the time I predicted a world record golden was probably lurking there. It was later I learned the Montana state record came from there. I only caught one 13" fish and I never actually saw anything larger, but based on what that one had been eating I figured the big ones had to be there.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostTue May 13, 2003 12:09 am 
I have heard of lightning lake... I really would like to go there this year. The state has surveyed fish there in the ten pound range! I have been looking on my topo but haven't been able to find it yet. I have read a couple of articles on it, and it looks like just my type of lake! smile.gif Looks like Lightning has given up the title to Cave lake as of 2000, 5.43 pounds..

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue May 13, 2003 7:48 am 
Well now you guys have me reconsidering my whole summer plan-I wa going to go back to the East Rosebud again in August and up to Fossil Lake and explore that area some more, but a trip to the Lake Plateau may be in order.