Forum Index > Trail Talk > Controversial Manmade Signs in Wilderness (formerly Plaques)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostWed Aug 16, 2006 11:31 pm 
Quark wrote:
captain jack wrote:
Does anyone know who Brett Hall was, and why this extremely heavy chunk of marble sits up on Mount Si, in his honor?
How do you know it's extremely heavy?
What is the weight of dry rock? Most rocks weigh about 3 times as much as water i.e. about 3 metric tons (3,000 kilograms) per cubic meter. A cubic yard of rock would weigh around 2,300 kilograms or about 5,000 pounds 1967 edition of Baumeister and Marks "Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers" lists average density (Lb per cu ft) values ranging from 82 for Sandstone to 107 for Greenstone, Hornblend. Other values given are 95 for Limestone, Marble, Quartz and 96 for Basalt, Granite, Gneiss. If we take the average of the listing we get about 94.4 Lb per cu ft, or 1.14 tons per cubic yard. nerd.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sten

sten
PostThu Aug 17, 2006 4:31 pm 
Tim and Angel wrote:
Hahaha, just like above, I read it as plagues in the wilderness, too. Anyway, plaques in the wilderness are fine by me. Walking among a noteworthy special or historic spot is interesting to me. Sort of depends on the situation I guess. Plagues in the wilderness would be horrible. The closest thing to that are mosquitoes.(The Flying Plague). Plaque on the teeth is something I object to. down.gif
There's a plague of plaques in the wilderness oh my!

ronski

ronski
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 2:33 pm 
captain jack wrote:
Does anyone know who Brett Hall was, and why this extremely heavy chunk of marble sits up on Mount Si, in his honor?
Resize of Sigh 2006-08-16 010
Resize of Sigh 2006-08-16 010
Wow, what an unexpected blast from the past. I knew him, growing up. Brett Hall was from Lynnwood. His family used to live next door to mine. He disappeared on an intended dayhike on Mt Si with, I think, a group of friends. They searched at the time but didn't find him; the assumption was that he took a tumble down a hill, or got disoriented, sat down and died of hypothermia. I'm not sure about the January 25th, 1981 date-- or why they were hiking in the winter. (I was away at college at the time, so my info was secondhand.) If I recall, his body was found a year or so later after the snow melted. Didn't know his family had put a plaque there. Incidently, his older brother Flynn runs a business called Flynn's Carpet Cents, on Highway 99 north of 196th. You may recall his commercials on late night TV. Hearing about Brett's death had a definite impact on me at the time. I don't do much extended hiking anymore-- I've become lazier and do more car camping-- but for many years I did a lot of solo overnight backpacking on the Mountain Loop, the Hoh and so on. Brett's story motivated me personally to be very carefull out there and to always be prepared with the extra essentials everyone talks about. Thanks for the photo, Captain Jack.

wbs

wbs
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 3:33 pm 
Quote:
Everytime I hit the refresh button and this thread pops to the top because of a new post I see and read the title as: Plagues in the Wilderness and not: Plaques in the Wilderness
Sorry to have caused the confussion folks uhh.gif Thread Title has been updated. Continue discussion...

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 5:48 pm 
Quote:
I'm not for any such _modern_ wilderness monuments. There are plenty of urbanized landscapes to place such commemorations. Does it make me think of their love of the outdoors? No, for me it taints 'their' 'favorite huckleberry patch' with ownership and death. Takes from me, the experience that they allegedly craved when they visited that place. It makes a claim upon the land that we have agreed to be claimless.
ditto.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 6:05 pm 
My first year hiking out here in 1996, I would just go blindly up a trail that I'd see on a map. Not a very smart thing for a newbie, but somehow I survived. Anyway, one Saturday I lucked out on the penninsula with the Tunnel Creek trail. When I got to the pass I saw a boot track heading into the trees. Blindly going on after it disappeared, I came to a large meadowed hill and went to the top of that. It was a drop dead gorgeous view of Western Washington, not to mention Constance. The only wierd thing about it was that on this "peak" that seemed so out of the way, there was a brand new sign that said 'Vahalla'. It was varnished wood with the name burnt into it, and looked like someone put in some effort. A nice thing and all, to commemorate someones favorite place, but I think a little over the top, so to speak. What the hell is this "Vahalla"? Anyone know? Beside being a Viking heaven or something.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 6:10 pm 
marylou wrote:
Quote:
I'm not for any such _modern_ wilderness monuments. There are plenty of urbanized landscapes to place such commemorations. Does it make me think of their love of the outdoors? No, for me it taints 'their' 'favorite huckleberry patch' with ownership and death. Takes from me, the experience that they allegedly craved when they visited that place. It makes a claim upon the land that we have agreed to be claimless.
ditto.gif
Well put. Where'd that quote come from? (got something against attribution? moon.gif )

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
huron

huron
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 6:23 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
...a big friggin' Leninesque statue in bronze...
Agree. No need to leave any Marx in the woods.

touron

touron
PostFri Aug 18, 2006 7:25 pm 
I saw a columnar manifesto over in the Grand Coulee area. It was long and rambling.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Skinem

Skinem
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 11:23 am 
People have been leaving markers, etc., for hundreds of years. I ran across the remnants of a tree in the Pasayten Wilderness in the early '70s that had "David Thompson" (the explorer) carved in along with the year he was there. There had been an attempt at fencing off the tree with some type of iron railing..it wasn't on the maps. Anyone else run across that or know if it is still there or has it rotted away or been carted off?

Earth First! We'll strip mine the rest of the galaxy later. They call me the thread killer...
salish

salish
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 12:09 pm 
I don't mind plaques or small memorials in the wilderness as long as they're older ones. I guess that would mean prior to the wilderness act. I've been involved in a "traveling memorial" of sorts for an old friend who passed away quite unexpectedly in the spring of 2002. He was the youngest brother of my best friend, and I had known him since he was a child. Anyway, he kicked the bucket at 38 and the last time I had been with him was when the three of us were together on a long hike near Ingalls Lake. That following spring he was so excited to go backpacking and kept pestering me like a kid brother with excited questions, details, etc. Then he croaked. My friend thought about having a bronze plaque made and hiding it in the rocks just across the valley from Stuart, but the more he thought about it he decided against it. Instead, he took some of his little brother's ashes and put them in his brother's favorite Starbucks travel mug, and we took "Craig" with us on our hikes and camping trips. He was always with us. We'd even get silly and set him up on a log across from the campfire, or take him out in the boat while fishing. Sometimes my friend would distribute some of his ashes in particularly beautiful places. And sometimes we'd accidentally "lose" Craig, frantically searching a camping area; "hey, where's Craig?". At least once he accidentally "spilled" some of Craig on the trail. It was fun starting a trip with "hey, did you bring Craig?" I know Craig saw more mountains, lakes, streams, and vistas in the Cascades in those following years than he had seen in his entire life. To me that was better than any plaque we could have placed.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Aug 20, 2006 5:47 pm 
I don't think I've ever read anything so cool, and caring about someone who has "passed on". What a way better way to check out of this world. up.gif Living on in the memories of your friends. Thanks for sharing.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Feb 26, 2008 12:37 pm 
BUSTED! A German backpacker was caught spraying graffiti on the rocks and ice face at Franz Josef Glacier in New Zealand and made to clean up his mess. Glacier tagger gets frosty treatment

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
gyngve

gyngve
PostTue Feb 26, 2008 2:51 pm 
i like the fact that they made him clean up his own mess while being teased by passersby. i wish we could have this type of enforcement and punishment for all the tagging that happens in the U-D. would be great to see gangsta-wannabes dressed in pink bunny suits scrubbing away their tags while under the close eyes of the SPD.

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ

raz2sea
Daddy RAZ
PostTue Feb 26, 2008 7:37 pm 
gyngve wrote:
would be great to see gangsta-wannabes dressed in pink bunny suits scrubbing away their tags while under the close eyes of the SPD.
rotf.gif That would be great to see.