Forum Index > Trip Reports > Amicalola Falls (Georgia)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
C Dog

C Dog
PostTue May 13, 2003 3:02 pm 
Got a hike in while I was on vacation visiting some friends in Atlanta. Amicalola Falls is 729 feet, the tallest east of the Mississippi River. The trail is located 8 miles from Springer Mountain, the southern end of the Appalachian Trail. Made a loop trip by taking the AT approach trail to the top of the falls and the "Base of Falls" trail (425 step staircase) back. Pretty short and sweet, around 2 miles round trip. Pics up at http://www.washingtonhikes.com/2003/amicalola/

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue May 13, 2003 5:47 pm 
Neat looking hike. Looks like it starts out like a walk in the park but only 2,108.5 mi long. I'm curious, what kind of trees? NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 14, 2003 12:34 am 
Great pics. Amicalola actually isn't the tallest east of the mississippi. There are at least 2 falls besting it - Beaver Brook Cascades in New Hampshire at 1000 feet, and Crabtree Falls in Virginia at 1200 feet. </waterfall geek mode> biggrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2003 12:38 am 
This is a wonderful country with so much to offer isn't it!?!?! Ya gotta love the diversity of landscape! I'm NOT a humidity fan, but I like to visit the east and south east! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
C Dog

C Dog
PostWed May 14, 2003 8:23 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Great pics. Amicalola actually isn't the tallest east of the mississippi. There are at least 2 falls besting it - Beaver Brook Cascades in New Hampshire at 1000 feet, and Crabtree Falls in Virginia at 1200 feet. </waterfall geek mode> biggrin.gif
I knew if anyone could debate this it would be you! smile.gif You should write a letter to the Georgia State Tourism board and straighten them out! (Actually, I did notice another site that was talking about the falls mention that they were the highest "in Georgia")

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:44 am 
Yeah, I probably could write something to the state, but if I had to do it for Georgia, then I'd have to do it for practically every state out there (me being anal about this subject and all biggrin.gif). Oregon, for example, touts Multnomah Falls as the 4th tallest in the country, when it's really like 30th or 40th (maybe even lower). My waterfall geek friend in Vermont and I were discussing Amicalola Falls last night too. We seemed to agree that whomever measured the falls tried to stretch the definition of "waterfall" out as best as he / she could, because the topo maps don't indicate a 729 foot drop without measuring like 1/2 a mile of stream. It probably is the tallest in Georgia, but I don't know much about Georgia, so I can't really say for sure. It sure is perdy though. agree.gif