Forum Index > Gear Talk > GPS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSat Apr 26, 2003 2:33 pm 
Is there an easy way to use these things? How would I set "waypoints" map points? point points? Is there a website that gives you Long/Lat readings that you type in? Or do you just head out, and save your waypoints has you go?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Perpetually lost anyways

Perpetually lost anyways
PostSat Apr 26, 2003 3:41 pm 
Program such as National Geographics "Topo" let you plan a route your computer and then upload it to your GPS. Alternately, you can use the GPS to track your meanderings, then upload them to the PC and see where you were.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 8:52 pm 
How to I go from GPS to computer?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 9:11 pm 
Do you have a GPS? If so, which one? Do you have mapping software? If so, which one(s)? Have you tried this yet? winksmile.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSat May 03, 2003 10:16 pm 
Here is a website that gives latitude and longitude for many mountains, lakes, passes and basins in Washington State. Link

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed May 14, 2003 2:16 am 
of all the gps units on the market, which one works best for us backpackers? or, if you were going to buy a new gps, which one would you get, and why?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:21 am 
Magellan SporTrak because the small Garmin units with the patch antenna don't track well under tree cover from my experience. You can get the SporTrak Map for just over $100 after rebate.

Dante

Dante
PostWed May 14, 2003 12:02 pm 
www.topozone.com will also give you the lat. and long. and you can get the coordinates of the map cursor or marker (the little red + sign) in various formats EXAMPLE Here's how a guy who posts over on www.backpacking.net uses his e-trex: I use my eTrex all the time along with National Geographic Topo and my Brunton Eclipse compass. I can determine my position in a matter of seconds. Here's how I use it. I print a 11x17 topo with the 1000 meter grid lines on it of the area I am going to hike. I have the gps set to show all coordinates in UTM. When I hit the trail and I want to know where I am I just turn on my gps get a fix (in UTM coordinates), write them on the back of the map, turn off the GPS, lay my trusty Brunton Eclipse compass (with UTM overlay scale) on the corresponding UTM grid lines and Wa-La I know were I am usually within 10 meters or less. It's simple, it's fast, and I don't run the gps for more than a minute which means my batteries will last for weeks. I would recommend a gps with the Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) which receives signal from designated satellites with correction data to give a more accurate fix. Makes sense to me smile.gif