Forum Index > Trail Talk > Spring Bear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon May 12, 2003 7:15 pm 
While hiking down an old logging road yesterday, we spotted this bear foraging in the valley. We watched for several minutes before it moved off into the forest cover. Even though it's a long distance shot, sights like this can be rare sometimes and it just made a great day better. BW biggrin.gif
blackbear
blackbear

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
One Day Wonder

One Day Wonder
PostWed May 14, 2003 9:22 pm 
That time of year again? BRING ON THE SUN!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:14 pm 
Well *I* saw two deer between 520 and Redmond Town Center this evening, so thhhbbbbbbppt! tongue.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 15, 2003 4:13 am 
Saw this critter on the way to Leavenworth last week. A couple of miles east of Skykomish, I rounded a corner and saw a dark spot ahead. I said "I know what that is". Yup it was. It was in no hurry and was a treat to watch. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu May 15, 2003 6:27 am 
Nice bear!! up.gif You were in close proximity to where we saw our bear. We were up an old road not too far from Old Cascade Hwy. Hopefully I will get a closer pic on my next bear. Well, not too close!!!!! eek.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 15, 2003 6:48 am 
Same one? hmmm? Here's another not as good a photo. It is exciting when you see them. Something I've not seen many of around here. I remember when in AK, I never got tired of spotting them. Somewhere I posted a Griz that I was less than 50' from and not in my car at the time. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostThu May 15, 2003 10:03 am 
The Bobcat in the field is really nice!

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu May 15, 2003 10:26 am 
Thanks--- that was a really fun evening. This rascal just sat there for over 40 minutes...his head turning every so often...it was getting very dark outside when all of a sudden he started moving in one direction and in the course of 5 minutes suddenly sprang and bingo: dinner time as he caught either a huge field mouse or a vole type of critter. Too bad there was no way I could photograph any of that due to the required 2 second shutter speed at darkness time. Two days later we had two bobcats in our field. I'm sure this same male was the one, and a smaller female with him! Every time the larger male would start his hunting stalk mode, the female would haul off and start chasing him all over the place! We had two racing bobcats going in circles about 4-5 different times that evening. Biologists I've spoken to out this way verified for me that we have at least one known mating pair of them on our hillside here. Between them, the large coyote population, and I'm sure cougars must pass through when we aren't watching...hard to imagine we'll ever have a house cat overpopulation problem around the neighborhood!

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostThu May 15, 2003 10:35 am 
No Fair, Alan!!! Having your own Wildlife Refuge. waah.gif You're forcing me to go to the "edge of the envelope" for my next photo op. paranoid.gif Nice Pics!!!! BW biggrin.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu May 15, 2003 10:42 am 
Hey, it isn't all roses around here like you might think---ever try to teach a 14-month old border collie-mix pup that bear scat isn't for rolling and eating pleasures!!!? dizzy.gif She now actually is starting to ignore the stuff...sign that maybe she's getting the idea they are in more command over her domain than she is. She prefers deer droppings over bear.....wonder what that is trying to tell me?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 15, 2003 6:09 pm 
Bushwacker wrote:
No Fair, Alan!!! Having your own Wildlife Refuge. waah.gif Nice Pics!!!!
I agree. Nice photos Alan. Thanks for sharing. NN