Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two Piles with Options
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 16, 2003 4:42 pm 
I've got 2 piles of gear on my living room floor. I prefer pile #1 with all the warm & sunny options it is layed out for. Pile #2 doesn't to want to fit in my pack and seems to be geared to the colder temps. I also appears to weigh more so I'm reluctant to use it at this time. I do have a 3rd option, which is staying home and watching tv, but it's a very dispicable option and would rather not consider it. In fact, I won't. I really lean towards pile #1 as it fits my pack so well, sounds warm and gives me that warm fuzzy feeling. Any ideas where I could take my pack with the #1 pile for a hike and overnight? Thanks, NN Pile #1 30* bag 3 season tent 100 fleece vest shorts tevas tanktop sun glasses sunscreen baseball hat iced tea camera cf cards wildflower books Pile #2 20* bag 4 season tent long underwear 200 fleece top and bottoms expedition weight socks ski mask and hat rain gear ice axe snow shoes crampons poles camera cf cards hot chocolate

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostFri May 16, 2003 5:02 pm 
Ancient Lakes? I haven't been but am also craving a warm and sunny backpack, and it sounded pretty good.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostFri May 16, 2003 7:08 pm 
Ancient Lakes is neat and there is alot more exploring in that general area than just the lakes. You can go on the ridge above the lakes and explore above the waterfall and west of the area there are other places. A friend of mine saw some cougars over near Dusty Lake. If I had several extra days, I'd head for the southwest and look at loosey goosey roads, gooseneck rivers, and crane my neck to decipher strange newsrocks. dizzy.gif
loosey goosey
loosey goosey
canyonlands
canyonlands
newspaper rock
newspaper rock

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 16, 2003 9:33 pm 
Ancient Lakes doesn't sound too bad and I've never been there. The weather report is kinda iffy I'm thinkin. We'll see in the morning. polarbear... where you take those photos if I may ask? Pretty nifty I must say. Thanks NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostFri May 16, 2003 10:11 pm 
I suggest you not drink the water at Ancient Lakes, it is likely at least part farm irrigation. When I was there last month, there was a sign warning that one lake was treated last fall to kill vegetation. Didn't sound appealing so I carried water from my truck, which was not a big deal. I'd go again. Flowers, green, warm, waterfalls, beaverdam, quiet, coyotes singin at night. It'll be rainin here, overcast at the pass, sunny by George. Plenty of exploring for a couple days.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 17, 2003 6:41 am 
Well I don't know now. The Pass Report indicates pile #2 but I'm cold and don't feel that hard core. Crap, this is May. Maybe I should just go look for snow bunnies. NN wink.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat May 17, 2003 7:49 am 
Ah, but if you look at the cameras by Vantage it's almost sunny outside..... up.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 17, 2003 8:26 am 
Thanks Alan. I neglected to look that far east. Sometimes I can't see past the end of my nose. NN

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat May 17, 2003 10:48 am 
Quote:
I suggest you not drink the water at Ancient Lakes, it is likely at least part farm irrigation.
I heard a second hand account of someone drinking the water. withstupid.gif drink.gif drink.gif drink.gif confused.gif eek.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif waah.gif rant.gif Newbie, those pictures I think were all taken in Canyonlands NP on pullouts off the main roads. It looks like a great place to explore. I guess the roads can turn to muck when it rains so they have signs about normal cars like mine attempting some of them. The loosey goosey one may have been originally built for uranium mining since that was done in that area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 17, 2003 7:20 pm 
Sunday Lake (ALWA) low elevation, no snow. Downey creek trail (some 8 miles long before elevation gain) (GPWA) Any number of beach hikes ah-la the west coast of Warshington. Pack list one is the way to go! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln