Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ancient Lakes 5-18-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 18, 2003 9:07 pm 
Well I made it to Ancient Lakes tho it wasn't an overnighter due to some scheduling problems. Didn't make it to the very, very end either due to what appeared to be some of that wet rain headed my way. Saw the waterfalls. Found a couple of different flowers. Saw what appeared to be some sort of lizard about 4"-5" long out of the corner of my eye scurry under some sagebrush. I usually carry my 35mm and lenses but never use them. So today I left them home. Darn. I went to grab it and it was, oh poop. Were a few people at one of the lakes and about 15 or so campers leaving when I got there. Nice day, Nice, quick and easy hike. Long drive. Thanks for the input. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon May 19, 2003 5:22 pm 
That's okay, NN. I remembered mine. wink.gif Anybody else? This is one of my favorite areas, but decent pictures are hard to come by.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 19, 2003 7:11 pm 
Looks like you were close enough to get sprayed on. You can see how far I made it. Behind me was the big black cloud with rain pouring down. The topos indicate a few more lakes behind the falls. Is it much of a hike to get into them? NN
Tapertip Onion?
Tapertip Onion?
Falls
Falls

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 19, 2003 10:28 pm 
Hey Newbie, looks like that G3 is treating you well. 35mm what?

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostMon May 19, 2003 11:05 pm 
I think the upper lakes aren't too much further above the falls. We made a loop hike when we went there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon May 19, 2003 11:45 pm 
fantastic photo! great colors! it is an onion, but I dunno which one...

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue May 20, 2003 5:38 am 
Tom wrote:
Hey Newbie, looks like that G3 is treating you well. 35mm what?
It's treating me fine. The macro focus leaves something to be desired tho and thus have to take a few extra close-ups. Pentax's w/assortment of lenses and filters. NN

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue May 20, 2003 10:41 am 
Fifteen campers leaving? Is there enough space there so they were spread out? That does not bode well for a memorial day backpack. I am feeling constantly foiled for this weekend's backpacking plans. Kettle Crest and Robinson Creek, still too much snow. Chelan Lakeshore, campsites closed, lots of deadfall and flash flood danger from last years fire. Ancient Lakes, potentially too crowded.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 20, 2003 10:48 am 
NN, if you're talking about getting the focus right, the G3 has focus bracketing (specifically intended for macro shots). If you're talking about minimum focus distance, try a lensmate adapter and macro filter.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue May 20, 2003 2:10 pm 
Tom: Thanks for the tips on the macro adapters for the G# series. I still have to yet make the digital move. I haven't been happy with Canon's default macro ability in the low-medium price range cameras. But maybe with the adapter. I normally take plant pictures with Canon Elan II with a 90mm macro. Newbee: Great picture and ID job on the onion. Tapertip (Allium acuminatum) onion is it. Your picture is right on like the one at CWNP web site. - marta

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 20, 2003 4:05 pm 
marta, not to stray too far off topic but the S# series (non-elph) also have an adapter to attach macro filters (though kinda pricey at $50) as do the A# series.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed May 21, 2003 4:29 am 
It's the focus factor. I'll probably have to get the adapter. Blowing too many good shots. NN