Forum Index > Photography Talk > Adaptor and wide angle for G3
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lasse

Lasse
PostThu May 22, 2003 12:33 pm 
Do anyone have experience with a good adaptor and wide angle lens - I would like to avoid Canons own adaptors, since they are made of plastic. I know the Kenko, LensMate, Tiffen and some others but I'm not sure that they will fit each other? Regards Lasse

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 22, 2003 1:14 pm 
Not sure what you mean by will they fit each other? The tube adapters use a bayonet system to attach to the G3 and all should fit. As far as the other end of the adapter where you attach lenses or filters.... If you have lenses or filters that use a different thread size than the adapter, just use a step up or step down ring (a step up ring is preferable to minimize vignetting). Lensmate makes 2 different size tubes for the G3, one with 52mm threads and one with 58mm threads. If you will be using canon lenses with 58mm threads you'd probably want to go with the 58mm adapter. If you are using another lens brand with smaller threads you'd probably want to go with the 52mm adapter (and use a step up ring if necessary). 2filter.com is a good place to buy filters, and they have an inexpensive 52mm tube for the G3. BTW, I'd skip the wide angle lens and just use the photostitch feature instead if necessary.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 23, 2003 8:36 am 
Right now I'm thinking of getting the LensMate 52 and a set of either Hoya or Tiffen close up sets. Just wondering if there is any input as to the choice or maybe another choice? Right now I'm thinking close-ups. Or? Thanks, NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 23, 2003 12:07 pm 
Hey NN, both Tiffen and Hoya make quality filters so you probably won't go wrong with either. I'd give the nod to Hoya based on what I've read. If you're going to get an adapter tube, I'd also consider a polarizer. Circular polarizers get kind of pricey, but the nice thing about the G# is you can use a linear polarizer and $ave. Looks like lensmate sells a double coated hoya linear polarizer for under $20.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 23, 2003 12:59 pm 
From my experience, linear polarizers are of very limited use and not at all comparable to circular polarizers.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri May 23, 2003 1:09 pm 
I still think you all should try to use a WARMING polarizer...combo of an 81a warming filter and the polarizer. I'd bet money you'll never shoot w/o a warming filter again for most nature images! up.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 23, 2003 1:49 pm 
I've only seen the benefit of a warming filter during slow exposures (like waterfalls) in the shade on a sunny day, or at high altitudes in the snow. I've had problems with it causing the sky to gray out a little on some days too, countering the blue in some conditions. Do you using one all the time, Alan? I'll have to check it out when we shoot together. On the off-chance I've needed both, I've just paired my 81a and CP. The extra glass hasn't caused any noticeable problems so far.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 23, 2003 2:05 pm 
MCaver wrote:
From my experience, linear polarizers are of very limited use and not at all comparable to circular polarizers.
Both produce the same result. Perhaps you were using a linear polarizer on a camera that needs a circular polarizer? From what I've read, circular polarizers are linear polarizers with a quarter wave plate added to "circularly" polarize the light. This is necessary to avoid fooling the metering and auto focus systems in cameras with a beam splitter. http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/qnaDetail.asp?threadID=2924&catID=176 http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/pastissues/2001/july/polarizing.html

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 23, 2003 2:10 pm 
I could have my terminology wrong, but I thought a linear polarizer was one that wouldn't rotate after being attached to the lens, where as a circular polarizer would rotate freely independent of the attachment threads. The former is fairly useless, IMO, unless you are willing to partially unthread it to get the same affect and live with the risk of losing it.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 23, 2003 2:52 pm 
Nope, I think you're thinking of a UV filter (or maybe a ND filter). Both linear and circular polarizers need to be rotated to get the desired effect.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 23, 2003 4:09 pm 
Thanks for the feedback. Another question...the G3 can use either type polarizer? Do both need to be manually focused or can it be done auto? How about the exposure? I'm getting confused over the correct usage of each. Thanks, NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 23, 2003 4:26 pm 
Yes, the G# (and most non-dslr digicams AFAIK) don't use mirror or prism, so you are OK with a linear polarizer. The Oly E-10 / E-20 may be an exception as it uses a prism to split light to the viewfinder.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 24, 2003 8:37 am 
Thanks Tom. NN