Forum Index > Trail Talk > R U a Cupper, Water Bottler, or Potter?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostTue May 20, 2003 8:02 pm 
Out of Whack ....
Larry, you may be sorry you asked!!!! I'll rummage through my dreams and see what I can come up with before the weekend. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostTue May 20, 2003 8:45 pm 
Karen wrote:
Larry, you may be sorry you asked!!!! I'll rummage through my dreams and see what I can come up with before the weekend. Karen
Excellent! That's one side of Karen we know and love. Haha! hockeygrin.gif

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed May 21, 2003 2:56 am 
sarbar wrote:
Yep that is where I got my 2 measuring/drinking cups-one is fugly green the other is hideous red biggrin.gif But they are pretty durable for weighing 1/2 oz! Funniest thing is, I haven't used the mess kit they came in for years!
the only parts of those mess kits that i ever used were the plastic cup, and the small kettle and lid. the frying pan was too thin and therefore useless, and the bowl/plate was a bad idea to begin with... too big, hard to clean and too heavy.

Larry

Larry
PostWed May 21, 2003 5:55 am 
Zip-Loc baggies make GREAT camp water containers. Fill them 3/4 up, zip them up, then scrunch them onto the ground, and they will sit nicely.

allison-

allison-
PostWed May 21, 2003 11:17 am 
Nalgene canteen, 96 ounce size. We call her "old 96". Not quite as cheap as drinking out of Stefan's bladder, but filtered water from here tastes less like pee.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Canada Goose

Canada Goose
PostFri May 23, 2003 6:16 pm 
I use a 32 oz. Nalgene as well as a 3 liter zip top bladder with a light (3 oz.) inline filter. This arrangement is fairly light and it is possible to carry a gallon of water on dry stretches. The inline filter works nicely as a gravity feed system too! I hang my bladder from the top of the inside of my pack and bring the hose out of the top and under the lid. Even in this position with the pack and the Nalgene bottle sitting on the ground I can filter 32 oz. in 8 minutes. Just suck on the hose to create a siphon and put the hose in the Nalgene bottle. Alternately I can use the two grommets in the top of the zip top bladder to hang it in camp. 3 liters gets me through all my camp needs without having to wear a path to the water. In camp it will filter 32 oz. in nearly half the time (4 minutes). The longer the drop from the top of the hose to the filter the better the flow rate.

"He who binds to himself a joy does the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies Lives in eternity's sun rise." - William Blake
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostFri May 23, 2003 7:29 pm 
I bring a 12oz styrofoam cup that I can re-use and pack out. Practically weightless.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat May 24, 2003 8:52 am 
Water bag in the pack. Usually the three quart size. Some times I bring a spare quart poly bottle. Unlike Miss. Karen, I drink *constantly* when i'm on the move. I try and not go 10 minutes without drinking. Keeps me going. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln