Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Mining history talk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Sep 20, 2006 10:28 am 
I know there's a lot of mining history buffs on this site, and I thought you guys might be interested in this at the Museum of History and Industry: Thursday, September 21, 2006 at 7:00 pm An Evening with Michael Punke, Author of Fire and Brimstone Join MOHAI and University Bookstore in welcoming author Michael Punke, as he speaks about his newest book, Fire and Brimstone: the North Butte Mine Disaster of 1917, which discusses the worst hard-rock mining disaster in American history. On the eve of the North Butte disaster Butte, Montana was a volatile jumble of antiwar protest, seething labor unrest, divisive ethnic tension, and radicalism both left and right. It was a powder keg lacking only a spark, and the mine fire would ignite strikes, murder, ethnic and political witch hunts, occupation by federal troops, and ultimately a battle over presidential power. Hear Punke speak about the difficulties of piecing this complex history together, and how his research fits into contemporary US political issues. Free admission!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostThu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 pm 
Wish I'd known about it sooner. Maybe next time. Thanks for posting it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message