Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments - Little Annapurna 9/23/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 3:38 pm 
A bunch of my friends were car camping and rock climbing in the icicle this past weekend and I decided to join in on the fun! Left Seattle around noon on Friday and arrived at lower johnny creek campground around 3pm. Most everyone was off climbing somewhere, so we relaxed around camp, socializing and being lazy. A couple of friends were coming over in the morning to meet us for a little jaunt up into the enchantments whilst the rest of the crew was planning on more rock climbing. The morning meeting time came and went, and after an hour or so, Laurie and I decided they must have had a change of plans or messed up the meeting place, so we headed up to the stuart lake trailhead to see if they were there. They still hadn't shown up by 9:30, so we left a note and blasted up the trail. Reached Colchuck lake around 11am and saw some dark clouds heading over the pass - uh oh! Ran into a gentleman heading to the upper lakes who was with a group of folks carrying 900 fish up to plant! Cool! By the time we reached the pass, we could see more blue sky coming our way - Yay! Headed down and over towards Little A, and worked our way up over slabs and such to the wide open and fairly flat summit plateau. There are boot paths and cairns all over the place, but any way you feel like going up seems to work. By the time we reached the summit blue skies in every direction, with only a few clouds here and there provided spectacular summit views! Spent about an hour on the summit having a snack and taking in the views and chatting with another dayhiker (nwhiker?) before heading down. All the new snow from last weekend is mostly melted which enabled us to wear our sneakers up.gif but I bashed by foot on a rock in the boulder field coming down off of aasgard pass down.gif The larches are just beginning to turn, with a few fully golden here and there. It should be spectacular in a week or two, so get up there! Sunday was spent climbing at various areas along icicle creek in the hot sun cool.gif Some pics:
dragontail
dragontail
dragontail 2
dragontail 2
larch
larch
nightmare needles
nightmare needles
aasgard larches
aasgard larches
colchuck
colchuck
little annapurna 027
little annapurna 027

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 4:08 pm 
Dicey, nice pics. I especially like the lone larch on the cliff. Hope yer foot isn't too bad frown.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 4:54 pm 
Thanks Spotly - foot is okay, just bruised.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
dkemp
DoxManDude

dkemp
DoxManDude
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 pm 
Great to see you this weekend dicey! It was fun.

Get up early, go all day, come home tired.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 5:13 pm 
Looks great, I was suppose to do Cannon a few days ago and had some funky reaction to some medication which kept me up all night , the other guys made the trip and did the lost plateau and bushwacked down to Snow Creek. I have to make it up there soon. up.gif up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
ree

ree
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 6:38 pm 
dicey wrote:
Left Seattle around noon on Friday and arrived at lower johnny creek campground around 3pm. Most everyone was off climbing somewhere, so we relaxed around camp, socializing and being lazy.
You? Lazy? No way. Ha! I was at Ida Creek Sat. night, and did Colchuck on Sat! I'm a day behind you... or I stalked you from the Safeway parking lot. paranoid.gif Nice pics! Say, we did Wedge Mtn. too... like you said, the road ends almost at the summit. We scrambled up to the top (thinking it was only 800' more- WRONG! Topo said 1300'!) but the view wasn't what I expected. You can't see any Enchantment lakes from the summit, right? I certainly didn't. I did see a huge waterfall.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 7:03 pm 
You can see Nada, Lower and Upper Snow Lakes and I will have to look back at my pics, there is a minor class 3 gulley to the summit. Wedge Mtn. TR from last year

ree

ree
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 9:26 pm 
So what is the name of the summit above the very, very rough end of Mountain Home Rd?? confused.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 9:43 pm 
You can see upper/lower snow and nada from the summit of wedge, as wildernessed stated. I didn't have a digital camera back then, so I can't post any pics, sorry.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 12:49 pm 
Coolness. up.gif Glad that foot isn't going to slow you down!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Sep 26, 2006 1:55 pm 
Wedge is an interesting mountain, from Gustavs the prominent peak you see is the low end of Wedge, the ridgeline extends back to the SW I think and the true high summit of Wedge, you can see it well from SR 2 / SR 97 jct., beyond wedge further along the ridgeline are some craggy high points before McClellan. That road there is confusing with many off shoots, I actually waypointed the road after going the wrong way once. Sorry about the thread drift, but you could shoot a zip line over to Annapurna and using a small motorized pulley summit iit from Wedge. winksmile.gif